ADVERTISEMENT

JoJo Robinson twee

That's not acceptable. It's not acceptable to subject our citizens to extra searches and embarrass them because of the color of their skin. We have been fighting this battle for too long. And you didn't need to tell me you were white and lower middle class, your words scream that.[/QUOTE I agree that it's not right to search people for how they look but to ensure our safety we have to do things that are not right sometimes. People should understand that too, if they want to keep us as safe as possible. I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything but people life's are more important than people's feelings. The people that get checked by the way they look shouldn't blame Americans at all, they need to blame there own people that are trying to kill us.

Well what the heck am I supposed to say? I did not mean that disrespectful at all. I honestly thought that is what black preferred to be called. What do want me to say, African American. I bet 99% of them have never even been to Africa. That would be like me expecting you to call me an Irish American. Would you do that if I preferred? I tried not to say black because I have been told that offends people. This is what is wrong with our country, you can't even talk without offending someone these days.

HendrixHog, if you are African American, black, or whatever it is called these days, would you please tell me what word I am supposed to use this generation so that I do not offend you? And when that does not suit you anymore and I am racist again, can you please let me know what you have changed it to then? This is so ridiculous.

And by the way, I asked my friend and he laughed. He takes no offense because he knows I mean no offense. He is a man (regardless of color) and a friend and he is well above this stupidity.

Black works just fine. Wow you really thought that black people preferred to be called colored? Yeah you certainly have a black friend. What is he, pushing 90 now?

Reactions: dmjinc71
I agree that it's not right to search people for how they look but to ensure our safety we have to do things that are not right sometimes. People should understand that too, if they want to keep us as safe as possible. I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything but people life's are more important than people's feelings. The people that get checked by the way they look shouldn't blame Americans at all, they need to blame there own people that are trying to kill us.

I agree that it's not right to search people for how they look but to ensure our safety we have to do things that are not right sometimes. People should understand that too, if they want to keep us as safe as possible. I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything but people life's are more important than people's feelings. The people that get checked by the way they look shouldn't blame Americans at all, they need to blame there own people that are trying to kill us.
"They need to blame their own people that are trying to kill us"...

While I'll be the first to admit that profiling is one of the most effective tools we have in security and solving crimes, your above statement gets to the heart of the issue. "Their own people"...... you do realize that the vast majority of these people ARE American citizens, right? Whether you intended it or not, "their own people" speaks volumes....

I can't see this thread going much longer. It's starting to reach "that point"....

Lots of self-righteous folks ITT.

I Know plenty of white folks that are racist even though they don't believe it.
I know plenty of black folks I know that are racist and they don't believe it.
I know plenty of folks that go out of their way to act righteous in lashing out vs racism to a fault.

I think most are full of $hit. If you want to make a difference, do it on your own by how you treat people on a daily basis. Love is the answer, what's the question?

Lots of self-righteous folks ITT.

I Know plenty of white folks that are racist even though they don't believe it.
I know plenty of black folks I know that are racist and they don't believe it.
I know plenty of folks that go out of their way to act righteous in lashing out vs racism to a fault.

I think most are full of $hit. If you want to make a difference, do it on your own by how you treat people on a daily basis. Love is the answer, what's the question?

"They need to blame their own people that are trying to kill us"...

While I'll be the first to admit that profiling is one of the most effective tools we have in security and solving crimes, your above statement gets to the heart of the issue. "Their own people"...... you do realize that the vast majority of these people ARE American citizens, right? Whether you intended it or not, "their own people" speaks volumes....

I can't see this thread going much longer. It's starting to reach "that point"....
This is the best way I can think to explain this. I work in the oilfield and live in south Arkansas and when I meet people from other states or whatever they automatically think I'm oilfield trash and live in a trailer park. I don't blame them because there is a lot of oilfield trash that are missing teeth and live in a run down trailer in south Arkansas. I can only blame the people that are oilfield trash for making our reputation that way!!

Racial or ethnic profiling is great...until you see it happen in real life. When you actually see someone get humiliated because of the color of their skin...or mistaken for a criminal because of the color of their skin...it becomes apparent that maybe racial profiling is not the best course of action. I'm not saying I have all of the answers to protect us against crime or terrorism...but I believe there has to be a better way.

It really does take us one step closer to the Gestapo...and we know how all of that worked out.

Curious to know how some of y'all would have reacted to this. I'm a pretty laid-back, non-confrontational guy. I wish I wasn't so laid back at times. I've got friends, Trey for example, who will put anyone on blast anytime, anywhere, if they're not doing a good job or if they're just plain stupid. I've learned to appreciate that way of doing things in order to get a point across. Maybe I should give it a shot next time and see how it feels.
You saw me yell at a police officer one time
Black works just fine. Wow you really thought that black people preferred to be called colored? Yeah you certainly have a black friend. What is he, pushing 90 now?
I don't like to jump in these arguments. I know good and well racism exists. I don't think anybody knows exactly what happened with JoJo to cause his reaction (just assumptions). And I've never had someone ask for my receipt at Walmart. And I also know it's dumb for me to act like I know what it feels like to be black or to feel discriminated against.

I have read this whole thread and it amazes me how blind people are to racism, but I mean to all people, not just black people.

There is no doubt that in America at least that black people are different in some(really stupid/ignorant)people's mind. I guess my problem understanding goes to how many people are Christian or claim to be but still believe black people are different. I just don't get it, we all walk and look the same other than the color of our skin, the only difference in people to me is how each person presents themselves or acts, maybe even talks.
So I ask, Do you people think everyone should be exactly the same? Act exactly the way you do? I sure would hope not.

The fact is that there are just as many bad people walking the streets of each race, no race or person is any better than the next.

I would think most parents tell there kids treat others as you would want to be treated, and I add in to my kids that if you see someone being miss treated, you better stand up for them no matter what and if not and I find out, it will be bad for you.

In my short life I have witnessed racism to both black and white people and I just can't rap my head around it. I mean how can anyone with any type of smarts believe one is better than the next or any different.

I think it's good to be different, I tell my kids all the time, be yourself and don't try to be like another person, God made you the way you are for a reason.

While I know that black people are discriminated against more than whites, and will never understand what black people deal with, I also understand that in order to move past this it takes both sides.

When I say both sides I mean we cannot continue to have seperate functions that seperate color. There can't be a black only or white only beauty pageant or any type of event like this.

At the same time I can understand that maybe Black people feel their owed a little more because of this country's history and maybe their right.

Either way, things will never change if race is brought up in situations that there is absolutely no reason for. I mean if I don't like someone I'd better have a damn good reason for it than just someone's color, and if I'm going to outspokenly say something that does seperate color then there needs to be a damn good reason.

2 quick stories. I've told one already about some of my sons friends(black) that stay with us a lot and how some white boys had a party but told my son his black friends couldn't come. It pissed my son and I off so bad that I didn't know what to do. My son told the boys at the party they were no longer his friend and how stupid they were. Those boys ended up apologizing to him and his black friends and I ended up after about 2 weeks telling the kids parents. What sucks is the kids probably heard things from their parents but either way those parents sure seemed like it bothered them and would take care of it.

2nd story. About 3 months ago my son joined an AAU team(AR wings) and is the only white boy. The coach is black and going into it the guy that funds our area warned me that the coach has a little problem and will come off racist. I thought oh well, he will get to know us and realize quickly that my family isn't near like that and it will be fine. Well, while we do get along he sure has seperates my son several times in front of the others. He has said several times that this little white can't be faster than you guys, that black people are just better althletes and there's no reason why he should be winning these races. After about 5 instances I talked with him after practice. Told him I didn't appreciate him saying it weather he feels that way or not because it was causing problems amongst a couple players and my son. He actually understood and went on to say he never thought anything about it, he was just trying to motivate the others. Well, that's fine and all, we can deal with it because something this small shouldn't be a problem, I do understand it's very minor compared in how white people can say and hurt others.

Point being, it works both ways and in order to get past this bad history it takes all sides, not saying it can't be discussed cause it has to be, but at some point it the comparing of each has to stop.

I consider my brother the same as anyone, I never even think or notice any different, but the fact is that he is in the way he walks, he was born with CP.
He is the most amazing person I know with how he has handled it. He wants no help. He graduated from the UofA as a lawyer. I will never understand how he walked that campus carrying his books, walking those hills. Every time I go to the campus I think about it, how could he do it. The horrible part is that he still gets made fun of, even his 7 year old boy has kids say things at school making fun of him. It amazes me still to this day even after dealing with it for over 30 years.

To sum it all up, there are just really stupid and mean people in the world and to lump what one person says these days with a whole race is also stupid. It's time to grow up, all of us that are at least somewhat intelligent and get past things, chalk it up as another idiot that has no idea. I say this about all situations, not just racism.

Reactions: Alonzo Quijana
I appreciate all the comments in this thread, because civil dialogue on this issue is the likely to be the best facilitator to solving
much of what can be salvaged among relationships between human beings.
That said, rather than allowing the civility and respect among posters spiral recklessly downward to the point that it is lost, I'll relocate
this to the Grim Bottom and hopefully mature and respectful posters who wish to continue to discuss this rationally can do so.

This is the best way I can think to explain this. I work in the oilfield and live in south Arkansas and when I meet people from other states or whatever they automatically think I'm oilfield trash and live in a trailer park. I don't blame them because there is a lot of oilfield trash that are missing teeth and live in a run down trailer in south Arkansas. I can only blame the people that are oilfield trash for making our reputation that way!!
Between "there people" and this last post, it's pretty obvious that you have a complete lack of awareness in this arena. You chose to work in an oil field. The citizens of Pakistani or Iraqi or Iranian descent did not decide to be from those countries. They were just born, and now they have to deal with people like you holding them accountable for every whacko who is from the same country as their descendants were. It's a choice vs heritage, there is no comparison.

I find it a little odd that the largest political action group that fights for the rights and transgressions of the African Americans in this country contains the word "colored" in their title.

Yet, this dude said "colored" in what contextually appears to have absolutely zero ill intent, but is getting raked over the coals for it.

I don't say "colored" (and quite frankly don't categorize anyone by the color of their skin - something that the politicos seem very willing to do these days, leaving me very curious about the end game), but for my own edification, is the c word the new n word in that as long as you are African American, you have the green light on its use, laissez faire?

I find it a little odd that the largest political action group that fights for the rights and transgressions of the African Americans in this country contains the word "colored" in their title.

Yet, this dude said "colored" in what contextually appears to have absolutely zero ill intent, but is getting raked over the coals for it.

I don't say "colored" (and quite frankly don't categorize anyone by the color of their skin - something that the politicos seem very willing to do these days, leaving me very curious about the end game), but for my own edification, is the c word the new n word in that as long as you are African American, you have the green light on its use, laissez faire?
Come on, the NAACP was founded in 1909. You can't change the name because of cost and recognition. It's not a slur like the n-bomb, but it's heavily insensitive.

You didn't ask your friend. If you had any idea how transparent that sounded you never would have posted. Colored? Good lord, just stop.

Do you know me? How can you call me a liar? I have tried to be very respectful in this entire thread and I have been called a racist and now a liar. You know, I find it very insulting to be called a liar. This is EXACTLY what I was trying to say in the first place. Every man and woman on this earth is equal, why is it insulting for one race to be called colored when I was trying to be respectful but you can call me a liar and it is ok? This was my point to this whole thing. It should go both ways. This thread is a good summary of where our country has gone. Pretty typical these days.

For your information, my friend is 47 years old and I am not lying. This has become really stupid and blown way out of proportion from what it was meant to be. If you respond to this post you will be talking to yourself, I am finished with this thread.

Come on, the NAACP was founded in 1909. You can't change the name because of cost and recognition. It's not a slur like the n-bomb, but it's heavily insensitive.

So...context means nothing? Got it.

I guess I'm just thankful for some very good professors that taught me critical thinking skills that provided me with the tools of being able to discern past a word and apply basic analytical thought to grasp the entire concept of the message and how it was coveyed.

Not being able to think past "oooo oooo!!!! He said ________!!!!!" has to be a sad way to go through life.

Anyway, @JunkyardHawg ended this thread a few posts ago. There's nothing more to add really.

Between "there people" and this last post, it's pretty obvious that you have a complete lack of awareness in this arena. You chose to work in an oil field. The citizens of Pakistani or Iraqi or Iranian descent did not decide to be from those countries. They were just born, and now they have to deal with people like you holding them accountable for every whacko who is from the same country as their descendants were. It's a choice vs heritage, there is no comparison.
Ok gbbaber im not racist I just don't trust everybody in this country with my life. Is something wrong with that?

So...context means nothing? Got it.

I guess I'm just thankful for some very good professors that taught me critical thinking skills that provided me with the tools of being able to discern past a word and apply basic analytical thought to grasp the entire concept of the message and how it was coveyed.

Not being able to think past "oooo oooo!!!! He said ________!!!!!" has to be a sad way to go through life.

Anyway, @JunkyardHawg ended this thread a few posts ago. There's nothing more to add really.
Honestly I'm not sure where you get all of this. I was raised in the LRSD and you dont say colored. It's a ridiculous word. There is a difference in freaking out about every imagined slight and understanding that we have real racial issues in this country aNd especially in this state. Ignoring the problem does nothing, and I will never back down from something that I have been taught and that I know is wrong. Saying colored is wrong. I have no issue with you or junk but I don't stand meekly aside on the racial issue. As a white male I refuse to get in line and pretend nothing is wrong, because it is.

I sure the hell don't. And if they want themselves and their families to be safe, they should not either if they have nothing to hide. I would hope they would want security to use the most effective tactic possible to identify possible threats, even if it included profiling their own age, gender or race. I am a middle aged, middle class white male and I would have no issue being profiled if the authorities were looking for a serial killer because most of them are middle aged, middle class white males.
Absolutely ditto.

So you have zero problem insisting that perfectly good citizens deal with extra checks, and the embarrassment of being pulled aside, just because of the way they look?
Not really. I don't have a problem with the whole idea of the TSA either. I don't want to have to wait in a security line but I understand the reasoning. I don't want to be inconvenienced by the police in New Jersey looking for escaped prisoners. In this case I would be looked at and questioned more so that someone who looked like they were from the middle east. Makes perfect sense to me. Wish it didn't have to be that way but to some extent it will always be that way and I'm okay with that. If we were talking about more than a little inconvenience or offended feelings then I might not feel that way, but my example was only that.

Fourth five years later the best answer I have is chasing tail.
I went to school there and live right down the road from there just strange seeing someone in New Mexico that's been there lol. Just wondered if you were from the area or just happened to be road tripping with some friends and stumbled through.

I went to school there and live right down the road from there just strange seeing someone in New Mexico that's been there lol. Just wondered if you were from the area or just happened to be road tripping with some friends and stumbled through.
I lived in Poplar Bluff at the time.

The JoJo situation/issues seem to be over now.
CBB booted him.

Some folks around the program are saying JoJo had/has a problem with authority and can be argumentative and distractionary to other players.
In addition, Alot of the problems look to be he didnt like attending classes, which is a school policy for athletes, not a football team policy.

The JoJo situation/issues seem to be over now.
CBB booted him.

Some folks around the program are saying JoJo had/has a problem with authority and can be argumentative and distractionary to other players.
In addition, Alot of the problems look to be he didnt like attending classes, which is a school policy for athletes, not a football team policy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT