ADVERTISEMENT

Kiero Small in Baltimore....

1) it is not 1964 first of all-that was 50 years ago and the peaceful protests led by MLK DID bring about massive change. I like how you just obliterated everything he accomplished. Secondly, WE didnt do any of that crap- most of those people who did are dead BECAUSE it was 50 years ago. Third instead of saying y'all just use the phase "you people" so we can get offended like you do. Who is the racist now?

2) you mean a militia like the new black panther party that openly calls for the destruction of white America and the killing of white babies?

3) If I throw bricks at cops I'm going to jail. You don't want equal. You want revenge for some wrong that you didn't even experience ie you never got attacked by dogs or hit with a fire hose. Like me, you were not even alive then. Stop acting like you were.

You talk about a moral high horse and yet your entire post is a moral equivalence. Those businesses (you know the people providing jobs an opportunity in that neighborhood) were not burned because of anything that happened in 1964 or even what happened to Mr. Gray....it was by thugs and criminals showing their backside. I bet now you are going to bring up the burning of black churches...like the one that had been in that neighborhood for 80 years those idiots burned to the ground last night. Who knew those protesters/rioters were so racist to burn down a black church...were they turning attack dogs and fire hoses on people after they burned the church? Do your jaws get tired from talking out of both sides of your mouth?

Why are you so angry when I'm only speaking the truth? I don't want revenge for anything. Sorry you got that impression. I want to my people to be treated the same manor that whites are. Sorry if that angers you. It's 2015 and yet some of the same stuff that went on in the 60's is still happening. Am I to be oblivious and pretend it doesn't? Ignore it? Shut up? The truth is there are 3 justice systems. The black one, the white one, and the rich one. These people have been complaining for decades about police brutality. Only when they act like fools do people start paying attention. And no I've never had a police dog attack me but I was thrown in jail for my skin color and the judge agreed. How many on this board have been thrown in jail cause they were white???

Not piling on here but you did just prove a point a lot have made here....including yourself with the "typical Arkansas" comment.

Lol I admit. I laughed. I've just noticed how Arkansans like to pretend that everything is awesome.

Minnesota, this typical Arkansan grew up in North Central Arkansas during the 70s and 80s. There were probably 6 black kids in grades 1-12 and 15 or 20 in the whole county. The only thing different in them was the color of their skin, man. They were NEVER mistreated and were my friends. I played ball with them boys and partied many parties with them. THey were and still are good dudes. I never seen any hatred toward them at all. NONE. Everyone got along. Racism is over man, a thing of the long past. The AL Sharptons of the world don't want it to end, their money would dry up if it did.

White vs. Black blah, blah, blah.

At the end of the day you are responsible for you. I don't care what skin color you are, or the environment you were raised in, this is America. If you want to succeed then by God this country allows it. You have the ability for vertical mobility, but its gonna come at a price. It's going to cost you blood, sweat, tears, hard work and dedication. That the difference between the haves and the have nots. The have nots are looking for excuses and blaming other people for their short comings. If you really want to evoke change, then be the agent of your change - It really is that simple.

It is true that that looting and rioting isn't changing nothing for these folks, just helping to perpetuate a stereotype that has been around way too long.

It is also true that many of the looters and rioters are doing so because they don't feel they have a voice/are being heard, and this is their only choice/outlet.

What makes me mad are those that come from other parts of the country for the simple purpose of crating chaos with no care or empathy for the victim, the victim's family, and or the surrounding community. It happened in Ferguson and what is pushed that incident past the brink, and I assume it is happening in Baltimore as well.

The whole thing just makes me sad. You don't defeat violence with violence, only suppress it. It is obvious there are big changes needed in our society.

You mean the video where the black cop planted a weapon on the dead guy? Yea that black cop was a big time racist...you amaze me.
The bad cops are bad cops to everybody, not just black people!
No one has said that but there are admitted KKK members embedded in plenty of police departments and they have one goal. Not all bad cops are racist. Some are just narcissistic power mongers but there are plenty that are racist. Peaceful protestor haven't been treated any better than these rioters and looters.

I'm glad good to hear that they weren't treated different smallmouth. But to think racism is over is naive. And for the record, I can't stand the Al Sharpton types cause they encourage hoodlums and are regressive. I never want to see riots but sometimes it's a necessary evil if it's gonna provoke positive change. I just watched the Moses movie and they did similar acts to gain their freedom.

I'm angry because you have your own racist streak in your comments and have a victim mentality that you keep calling the truth. Actually I'm not mad...I'm sad for you. You live your whole life like there is some white conspiracy working against you. Tell the truth, do you own a tin foil hat?

How much time have you spent outside the U.S.? Spring break in Cancun does not count. I have spent significant time in other parts of the world and it enlightened me to a real TRUTH. This is a great country that treats ALL of its citizens better than most.

The truth is probably you were belligerent with the cop in front of the liquor store. By the way what good comes from hanging out in front of liquor stores? I have never driven by a liquor store and thought " Those guys hanging out in front of that store look like good dudes who are doing positive things in the community", not one time in my whole life. You know why, because bums, drunks and homeless people tend to be the folks hanging out in front of liquor stores.

White vs. Black blah, blah, blah.

At the end of the day you are responsible for you. I don't care what skin color you are, or the environment you were raised in, this is America. If you want to succeed then by God this country allows it. You have the ability for vertical mobility, but its gonna come at a price. It's going to cost you blood, sweat, tears, hard work and dedication. That the difference between the haves and the have nots. The have nots are looking for excuses and blaming other people for their short comings. If you really want to evoke change, then be the agent of your change - It really is that simple.

I agree with everything you said. Good post.

Reactions: Paul Loyd
I really hope more PDs get fitted with cameras on their vehicles and body, that is the only thing that will curve the bad/power hungry cops, and make no mistake those type of cops exist in both black and white skin colors. All cops will be more aware and respectful if they know that a judge/jury could be watching and judging their actions with regards to interactions with citizens. But on the other side there are some really good cops out there that risk their lives everyday and should not have to hesitate to protect their own lives b/c they are afraid some activist is going to make it a racial crusade.

Reactions: hognashun84
Alumni if you think I'm racist or have a victims mentality then you really don't know me. I'm just the opposite. Just cause I point out what happened to me or other injustices doesn't mean I'm a victim or racist. It's just the truth that for some reason serves you better by ignoring it. All I'm asking for is understanding into why someone would want to riot and burn their neighborhoods and for them to Not be called savages and subject to snipers as some have suggested. Things must be pretty bad if burning your neighborhood is the answer you came up with.

No one has said that but there are admitted KKK members embedded in plenty of police departments and they have one goal. Not all bad cops are racist. Some are just narcissistic power mongers but there are plenty that are racist. Peaceful protestor haven't been treated any better than these rioters and looters.
I'm unaware of that. But you are a reasonable guy who has my respect so I'll take it as true. How many are there? Isn't the klan like 6,000 people total? How many of those are possibly among the hundreds of thousands of police officers? My point is the bad cop situation is a dbag problem not a racist problem. Like the video, that was a white and a black cop doing wrong. I find it hard to believe the black cop was racist, I find it easy to believe he is a dbag...like his partner.

Reactions: 1-1-Six Hog
Chris Rock needs to revise his joke.

"The only black people in Minnesota are Prince, Kirby Puckett (RIP), and minesotahog."

Reactions: 1-1-Six Hog
Alumni if you think I'm racist or have a victims mentality then you really don't know me. I'm just the opposite. Just cause I point out what happened to me or other injustices doesn't mean I'm a victim or racist. It's just the truth that for some reason serves you better by ignoring it. All I'm asking for is understanding into why someone would want to riot and burn their neighborhoods and for them to Not be called savages and subject to snipers as some have suggested. Things must be pretty bad if burning your neighborhood is the answer you came up with.

Or extremely ignorant and thats why they get categorzied the way they do.
That might be the stupidest thing Ive ever seen you say on this board.

If thats the answer they came up with, they have a lot more going wrong for them than racial grouping. Intelligence, reasoning, common sense, and a myriad of other things could be things to add to their repitoire before they go burning peoples jobs, careers, business, and livelihoods to the ground in the name of "equality". Goodness gracious man.

This is the most rational post you have made in this thread. Unlike you, I don't believe there is a vast white conspiracy against blacks in this country. I think there are small percentages on both sides of the race issue that are racist. I can not understand burning down my own neighborhood because I'm pissed at somebody. The worst part of my human nature can grasp burning down the neighborhood of the people I'm pissed at, but not my own house. I think the looters and arsonist are stupid criminals not savages.

I don't think you are racist but when you are angry you revert to things like " you people/y'all" and it makes you sound racist. If and when we see each other in Fayetteville to watch the Hogs kick the living shit out of somebody I bet we could have a few beers and be shocked at how well we get along as two men who have more in common than differences (even though I'm a sunshine pumper and you like to troll). That's the TRUTH!

I'm glad good to hear that they weren't treated different smallmouth. But to think racism is over is naive. And for the record, I can't stand the Al Sharpton types cause they encourage hoodlums and are regressive. I never want to see riots but sometimes it's a necessary evil if it's gonna provoke positive change. I just watched the Moses movie and they did similar acts to gain their freedom.
It's not fully over nor will it fully ever be. But to insinuate it's still highly prevalent in today's world is comical at best. But it does exist still.

And Moses propelled his people...these actions do nothing but drive people further away and thicken stereotypes. I would love to hear how these actions (i.e. riots) are similar to those of Moses. I bet you think the Katrina lootings were a necessary evil, too.

smh.

I don't know how the people of Baltimore do it. Stay up all night throwing rocks, stealing, burning down buildings and still have the energy to get up and go to work the next morning because these are all productive members of society.....

And this is the attitude of America.
Not sure why America would have any other perspective when people are burning down church's and senior centers over the death of a man that was in police custody. Please enlighten us on how America should feel.

Not sure why America would have any other perspective when people are burning down church's and senior centers over the death of a man that was in police custody. Please enlighten us on how America should feel.
Not at all saying the death was justified in any way but this is unorganized anarchy and innocent people are paying the price.

I'm unaware of that. But you are a reasonable guy who has my respect so I'll take it as true. How many are there? Isn't the klan like 6,000 people total? How many of those are possibly among the hundreds of thousands of police officers? My point is the bad cop situation is a dbag problem not a racist problem. Like the video, that was a white and a black cop doing wrong. I find it hard to believe the black cop was racist, I find it easy to believe he is a dbag...like his partner.

You don't have to take my word for it brother. Evidence is out there. Not all bad cops are racist and yes black cops can be racist also. Don't make the mistake of believing that they can't be.

Yep! They have every right to shoot you in the back or break your neck if you resist arrest. If it wasn't for video that cop in SC would have never been charged. I have a feeling chicks would have been a loyalist during the revolution. You seem very submissive and It's obvious you've never had a run in with the laws. Well I have. Took me to jail for literally standing in front of a liquor store and taking to someone. He actually got mad when I questioned what he was doing and just took me right to jail. Went to first appearance (didn't even have a lawyer) and the judge threw it out. You can't tell me that race didn't play a part in that arrest if you're being honest? But we're supposed to just take it and be quiet.
No, you're not supposed to just take it and be quiet, but you have no right to riot and burn down buildings. In addition, most of the riots cause harm to African American communities. How is that supposed to help the cause?

Well quit lumping typical Arkansans as what ever you meant by calling me that. I know there is racism out there but not as widespread as you make it out to be. I supposedly lived right in the middle of it and I never seen it growing up and if it would have been there, I would have seen it. I would have took up for those guys had they been mistreated. I know I don't understand what the Nolan Richardsons of the world went thru, but I just don't think people, in general, are hating other people because of the color of their skin. Maybe their actions but not the color of the skin.

It's not fully over nor will it fully ever be. But to insinuate it's still highly prevalent in today's world is comical at best. But it does exist still.

And Moses propelled his people...these actions do nothing but drive people further away and thicken stereotypes. I would love to hear how these actions (i.e. riots) are similar to those of Moses. I bet you think the Katrina lootings were a necessary evil, too.

smh.

Where exactly did I say it's prevalent? You're putting words in my replys when you don't have to. I said exactly the same thing you said, that it exist. And Moses set buildings on fire just like they did yesterday. And if someone has a stereotype I wouldn't give 2 turds (and your shouldn't either) if yesterday thickened it. Those people already had their bias before yesterday happened. To think that yesterday affirmed or thickened it is ignorant. They had their bias before yesterday and there's nothing you or me can do to educate the ignorant. And I never once said looting is necessary. I said a riot might be. Apparently you can't decipher the difference between riots and looting. You're trying to hard to be accepted. And if my family and I were starving following a hurricane I would loot for food. Who wouldn't? Now looting fit a tv or a new pair of J's is something different. Luckily I can separate the two.

When you have a mayor that says "we wanted to give those who wished to destroy space to do so" unfortunately destruction is the outcome.

I'm very interested to hear what someone like Kiero Small has to say on this. His tweets carry a lot of resonance for me.

I'm not interested in hearing what a bunch of people (white, black, yellow, or green) cozied up in suburban, middle America have to say about it. Those opinions (largely uninformed and with near zero context) are nothing more than hot air, imo.

Reactions: Lolly Hog
My turn again......the looting and vandalilsm is being done by people who don't care about Gray. They are simply taking the opportunity to steal from stores because they want the stuff inside. Most of them wouldn't cross the street to help Gray! Would most likely go the other way to avoid him out of fear for their own safety! Most have no intention of ever being a part of logical, meaningful change to the community.

The african american community complains about crime and the fact is 95% of the crime they complain about is african american against african american. LR for example, had 30 murders last year before one involved someone not in the african american community. It's long past being the white communities fault.

Try being a law enforcement officer under these conditions. I do not consider it profiling when the overwhelming majority of the issues they respond to are perpetrated by young african american males.

Education will continue to be the only way out of the cycle. Education creates opportunities.

To further clarify, I am not a racist. I am simply stating the truth. African Americans have to break the cycle and stop blaming other people for the problems in life.

I am saddened by the setback in Baltimore. But, Baltimore.......look in the mirror and make a change!

Reactions: WMFC
If that is the answer they came up with it has little to do with their conditions and everything to do with their lack of common sense and rationale. Burning down a community in NO WAY makes it better. Nor is the answer to attack white communities where most people are not racist and have nothing to do with the conditions as it would further spread hatred based on race.

Sure Dr King did say that "riots are the voice of the unheard" but he denounced the action all together not only in his words but his actions. Because he knew violence brings the view of people down. Violence is a stigma that people do not forget. King said "Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that"

It is the responsibility of both White AND Black in our nation to hold each other and ourselves to a higher standard in how we all address this issue. Is it fair that as a white man I somehow am supposed to be ashamed of the act of slavery that I never committed? No. Is it fair that Blacks must take a higher road to change a stigma they were forced into? No. Nothing about this is fair because no one today created the environment we live in. But to change that environment we must all be willing to take a higher road. Unfortunately today that is not a politically correct viewpoint because some people in the main stream honestly don't want the issue to go away. They make too much money and gain too much support by further igniting the flames vs extinguishing them.

No, you're not supposed to just take it and be quiet, but you have no right to riot and burn down buildings. In addition, most of the riots cause harm to African American communities. How is that supposed to help the cause?

Don't confuse me with anyone that can understand how burning down your own neighborhood will help.

Their will always be racism as long as we have separate events held.
To be honest I'm not sure if there are White only events or not but I do know there are black events held that whites are not allowed and I'm sure it's both ways.

As long as this type of thing continues we will never fully get over racism.

In no way can I understand what black people go through but at the same time the only way to stop it is to not see it and talk about it. Problem is that the media and the voices(Al Sharpton types)make too much money from it.

Quick story, my son and I have several black friends, I am from a pretty much all white town but never think of it being white and black people, in the end we are all the same. There are just as many bad whites as blacks. Anyway there are 3 black boys that stay at my house quite often, this past weekend to be exact, and about a month ago they stayed also and kids from my sons school had a party and invited my son. My son ask if it were ok for these boys to come also and was told no by a stupid farm boy that has no idea about anything other than he thought it was cool to say it.

My son tells him if your like that then your not my friend, he then tells him to come over and tell the black boys why they can't come. Of course the kid back tracks and says he was joking, my son says that's not in anyway cool or funny to anyone and only makes him sound stupid. I was so proud of my son but at the same time felt horrible for the other boys. My son says what's on his mind and he told them what was going on.

I thought they would get mad or at least be shocked but they weren't at all. They all said "no man we get it , if we took you with us to something like that some of our friends would say the same". Then tells my son as a matter of fact there's a couple kids on our basketball team that we've had to handle because they don't think you should be on the team cause we're all black but you.

I still can't get over this crap. I just don't understand it but the real question is how do we fix it? The only thing I know is to not talk about it so everyone can see. That's how time does heel. Rehashing a problem never ends well with the majority of people, everyone thinks their way is right.

Well sorry so long as I said it would be quick but it just blew my mind when this happened. I went and talked with those parents and told them what their kid said, that was all I knew to do.

All I'm asking for is understanding into why someone would want to riot and burn their neighborhoods and for them to Not be called savages and subject to snipers as some have suggested

I don't agree with the sniper comment, but the people destroying property and looting are criminals, plain and simple. It is not justifiable at all. They are doing nothing but hurting that neighborhood and they are definitely not helping subside stereotypes.

Reactions: Paul Loyd
Don't confuse me with anyone that can understand how burning down your own neighborhood will help.
You've made more than one statement in this thread that makes it look as though you understand why the rioters are burning down their neighborhoods. If you don't want us to think you "understand" them, then don't say you understand them.

Reactions: WMFC
Interesting Fact and let's see who knows the answer. How many people that were arrested in the Ferguson Riots were actual residents of Ferguson?

Now let's see how many of the people arrested in Baltimore are actually residents of Baltimore?

I think the answers to these two questions will surprise most on this board. Research Facts.

You've made more than one statement in this thread that makes it look as though you understand why the rioters are burning down their neighborhoods. If you don't want us to think you "understand" them, then don't say you understand them.
Bingo. We have a winner, boys.

I bolded what you said exactly.

Interesting Fact and let's see who knows the answer. How many people that were arrested in the Ferguson Riots were actual residents of Ferguson?

Now let's see how many of the people arrested in Baltimore are actually residents of Baltimore?

I think the answers to these two questions will surprise most on this board. Research Facts.
No one ITT cares about those facts. They have nothing to do with the conversation at hand.

Buildings are gettin burned down regardless of where someone is from, people being mistreated, lives being changed, etc. Where someone calls home has nothing to do with whats being said here.

Facts are facts, yes. But when they have nothing to do with what we're saying what do they even mean?

My wife and her family are from Baltimore - actually got married in the city.

Most of the comments in this thread are oblivious to the facts. Baltimore is a tale of two cities and it's very sad. There is the Baltimore you see on TV: inner harbor area basically and a few other enclaves that are predominantly white. Then there is East Baltimore, West Baltimore, and Pimlico. It's about 2/3 of the city and it's really, really sad. Terrible drug issues, high-school attendance rates of less than 25%, graduation rates of less than 10%, single parent households of 90%+. This is an epidemic. It's easy to say pick yourself up by your bootstraps. But, these kids don't see it that way. People say watch "The Wire" but I would tell you it's 10 times worse than the TV show shows.

I hate what I see and I am praying actively for the peace & safety of a wonderful city that is home to many family members. But, I will say that I can understand what I see. History teaches that when a population feels genuinely disenfranchised by their society, revolution will occur. This country was founded on the principles of equality and equal representation. There is something wrong in our society and political system today that results in massively disparities of voice, representation, rights, and quality of life - and the burden is most heavy on the urban black community. There are two America's today and we have to figure out how to heal.

We need a new way of thinking and open, painful discourse to fix this. We need to listen to these kids and these communities and really get creative about fixing the issues. It's all of our responsibilities as Americans.

Where exactly did I say it's prevalent? You're putting words in my replys when you don't have to. I said exactly the same thing you said, that it exist. And Moses set buildings on fire just like they did yesterday. And if someone has a stereotype I wouldn't give 2 turds (and your shouldn't either) if yesterday thickened it. Those people already had their bias before yesterday happened. To think that yesterday affirmed or thickened it is ignorant. They had their bias before yesterday and there's nothing you or me can do to educate the ignorant. And I never once said looting is necessary. I said a riot might be. Apparently you can't decipher the difference between riots and looting. You're trying to hard to be accepted. And if my family and I were starving following a hurricane I would loot for food. Who wouldn't? Now looting fit a tv or a new pair of J's is something different. Luckily I can separate the two.

You didn't say it...I said you insinuated it. I really don't care about stereotypes...just saying these events do nothing but tilt them towards being accurate. Moses set building on fire...that's brilliant. Scorched earth draws more parallels than this hooliganism. But you're right in that animal-like events of yesterday bringing these biases to life...they were already there, and we see why. I'm glad you're smart enough to know the difference between looting and rioting (albeit the two typically go hand-in-hand). It seems the world could use more people like you, and less of those of Baltimore, Ferguson, etc. And for the record, no one here is trying too hard to be accepted. As Ruby said, they say it's "a cloud over the land" but they made the weather and then they stand in the rain and say "Shit, it's rainin'!"

Paul I can "understand" why some will do it. Doesn't mean I condone or I would do it cause I wouldn't. Just like I can understand why some kids sell drugs. Now I did that but I wouldnt let my kids do it cause it's wrong but some kids just don't have food, cloths, good parenting. Messed up thing is I did it cause I was broke and that was the way I seen everyone getting money. Getting a job didn't cross my mind. Product of my environment and that's what a lot of these people are. It happens. Luckily I made it out without ever getting caught but that's a minority situation in a minority neighborhood. Everyone else got 20, 30, 40 years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT