ADVERTISEMENT

OT 100% NOT the Official Off-Topic/Politics/Corona Thread

6.6 million more job claims (5M was expected). I believe that is now over 16 million job claims in 3 weeks. 10% of job force gone in 3 weeks.

Last edited:
And the Fed continues the massive debt effort to save the countries economy. What a nightmare.

And no, I still don't trust they are doing what is best for us. They are doing what is best for their next election cycle. Still not sure it will work.

Reactions: Lefty8
And the Fed continues the massive debt effort to save the countries economy. What a nightmare.

And no, I still don't trust they are doing what is best for us. They are doing what is best for their next election cycle. Still not sure it will work.
This

Also why people who blindly trust the government or so-called "experts" really trigger me. There is nothing wrong with skepticism

Fauci this AM: "It is very likely that we will progress towards the steps toward normalization as we get to the end of this 30 days... Hopefully, by the time we get to the summer, we will have taken many steps in that direction."

"We are doing a very good job on mitigation, on the physical separation, the adherence to the guidelines. As new data comes in, what you do, you integrate that data into the model... That's why you're seeing those projections coming down somewhat. That's good news."

Also...
on whether some reported coronavirus deaths are actually deaths from other causes to inflate the numbers: "There is absolutely no evidence that that's the case at all. I think it falls under the category of something that's very unfortunate, these conspiracy theories."

Reactions: cfcjr50
As i get older i realize younger people lack perspective simple because they are young. That is not an insult as realize i didn't when i was younger.

I was arguing on here with someone about Houston Nutt recently. I ask the poster his age and got jumped on by several posters that didn't realize why i ask.

If your 3o years old you remember Nutts tenure and form your opinion there. But what you dont remember is how bad it was before he got here and the frenzy he put is in in 98. Just by being younger you cannot have the perspective a 55 year old does. That is why i ask him that. He thought i was insinuating he was young and dumb. I should have made that clear. I appreciated what Nutt did because I have a different perspective.

One of the smartest traits a person can have is knowing what you dont know. I try to remember that when discussing things i haven't been through. Not always easy to do.

This is a good post that everyone should take to heart...with the exception of the Nutt stuff.

(By the way, I'm closer to 50 than I am 48. Old enough to remember the good and the bad, both before and after Nutt.)

Reactions: Doyle55731
This is a week old, but how can you watch this and not have the take away that this woman is completely full of shit?

This is the best video Ive found that relates to the point Ive been saying about this all along. I know many of you that disagree with me wont bother watching this, but do me a favor and at least listen to the first 10 minutes. It might actually open some eyes around here

This is a good post that everyone should take to heart...with the exception of the Nutt stuff.

(By the way, I'm closer to 50 than I am 48. Old enough to remember the good and the bad, both before and after Nutt.)

I still dont know how anyone could haved lived thrue hog football of the 90s and seen and lived the frenzy of the 98 season and not have some appreciation of Nutt. This state was jacked in 1998 when 8-0 and rated number 4. Like nothing i have witnessed. Nutt is like Trump in alot of ways. People hate him so bad they cannot see the good he has done. I dont get it.

This is the best video Ive found that relates to the point Ive been saying about this all along. I know many of you that disagree with me wont bother watching this, but do me a favor and at least listen to the first 10 minutes. It might actually open some eyes around here
I leveled with you and watched the first 6 minutes. Perhaps ask yourself what motivation the experts on the WH task force would have to keep the country shutdown if they didn't think it was necessary? Contrarians have nothing to lose, the task force has a whole lot to lose. Luckily for the contrarians, it's true, we can't go back and prove how many people may have had the virus before we started testing

Fauci this AM: "It is very likely that we will progress towards the steps toward normalization as we get to the end of this 30 days... Hopefully, by the time we get to the summer, we will have taken many steps in that direction."

"We are doing a very good job on mitigation, on the physical separation, the adherence to the guidelines. As new data comes in, what you do, you integrate that data into the model... That's why you're seeing those projections coming down somewhat. That's good news."

Also...
on whether some reported coronavirus deaths are actually deaths from other causes to inflate the numbers: "There is absolutely no evidence that that's the case at all. I think it falls under the category of something that's very unfortunate, these conspiracy theories."
He also said we should not shake hands...ever again.

“I don’t think we should ever shake hands ever again, to be honest with you,” he added later. “Not only would it be good to prevent coronavirus disease; it probably would decrease instances of influenza dramatically in this country.”

Reactions: Mass31

“I don’t think we should ever shake hands ever again, to be honest with you,” he added later. “Not only would it be good to prevent coronavirus disease; it probably would decrease instances of influenza dramatically in this country.”
I certainly don't mind that

Haha. Now I finally believe Trump is controlling him. Trump hates shaking hands.

"Hey I know I don't believe or agree with anything you post but hey watch this 10 minute video that supports my point of view." lol

I leveled with you and watched the first 6 minutes. Perhaps ask yourself what motivation the experts on the WH task force would have to keep the country shutdown if they didn't think it was necessary? Contrarians have nothing to lose, the task force has a whole lot to lose. Luckily for the contrarians, it's true, we can't go back and prove how many people may have had the virus before we started testing
Wish you would have stayed for a couple more minutes. He explains how Fauci and Birx are both talking out of their asses, basically guessing, about mortality rates and such.

To answer your question, think about how many enemies the US has and how many individuals would like to see us wiped off the face of the Earth. Then ask yourself how much some would be willing to pay just to put a small dent in our armor. Next, ask yourself how confident you are in elected officials not to make a money grab, especially if its just a small dent. There is also an angle about attempting to force a world economy on everyone, and the best way to get a "foot in the door" on that would be to cripple the most powerful economy in the world. Before you say im crazy and a conspiracy theorist, which I very well may be, tell me what you knew about any of these experts (that you trust 100%) before this virus.

I told a buddy the other day we are about 4 generations away from no physical contact whatsoever. Better get those sperm banks ready to roll

Reactions: PorkshankRedemption

Also...

Then you see stuff like this and it makes you wonder if Fauci has a clue...

I saw that because RD retweeted it unfortunately but then i proceeded to read the document the guy was talking about and it doesn't in any way direct people to fill out death certificates with COVID19. It says if COVID19 was the no.1 cause of death it should be listed and if you believe with a high degree of certainty that that's what someone died for but you couldn't get them a test for whatever reason than you should mark it as COVID. Read the comments, they're all QAnon peeps, no wonder

Reactions: whitatu19
Someone I think (@HTHog) brought up those pneumonia death figures the other day and how they had dropped since all this started. I replied that it was my guess that most pneumonia deaths were being blamed on COVID 19. I did a little more digging because I wanted to make sure I was correct. I was not. Even on that graph that was posted, you clearly see a downward trend in pneumonia deaths around the same time every year. This is caused by a lag in reporting deaths to the CDC. It is nothing special about this year. Then I found this tweet with this awesome animated gif that clearly shows this.

Sorry. That was my fault in speculating something that was not true.

Reactions: PorkshankRedemption

I can promise you 10000% that anyone in the world has a clue, Tony Fauci does. There isn't a more respected infectious disease expert out there and that was true way before any of this started and still is. He is one of the all time greats and there is absolutely no one I would rather have heading the NIAID. I don't get into political discussion - but blame anyone you want for what's happening or not happening. But DO NOT blame Tony Fauci.

I saw that because RD retweeted it unfortunately but then i proceeded to read the document the guy was talking about and it doesn't in any way direct people to fill out death certificates with COVID19. It says if COVID19 was the no.1 cause of death it should be listed and if you believe with a high degree of certainty that that's what someone died for but you couldn't get them a test for whatever reason than you should mark it as COVID. Read the comments, they're all QAnon peeps, no wonder
Is this not exactly what he said?

Someone I think (@HTHog) brought up those pneumonia death figures the other day and how they had dropped since all this started. I replied that it was my guess that most pneumonia deaths were being blamed on COVID 19. I did a little more digging because I wanted to make sure I was correct. I was not. Even on that graph that was posted, you clearly see a downward trend in pneumonia deaths around the same time every year. This is caused by a lag in reporting deaths to the CDC. It is nothing special about this year. Then I found this tweet with this awesome animated gif that clearly shows this.

Sorry. That was my fault in speculating something that was not true.

Of course there is always a dip but not a dip of such large proportions. That was the point of the chart I put up earlier this week. It's a huge drop. Well above the average drop that we see every year. You don't see that?

91974188_10222139337616265_2590004058471268352_n.jpg

Reactions: hawgn02
I can promise you 10000% that anyone in the world has a clue, Tony Fauci does. There isn't a more respected infectious disease expert out there and that was true way before any of this started and still is. He is one of the all time greats and there is absolutely no one I would rather have heading the NIAID. I don't get into political discussion - but blame anyone you want for what's happening or not happening. But DO NOT blame Tony Fauci.
Do not blame him for what? Overreacting by shutting down our entire country's economy when regional or local shutdowns would have sufficed? Sorry, he gets the blame for that. Still waiting for someone to tell me why a bar in Terlingua Tx, in BFE with zero cases, needs to be treated the same as a bar in NYC and shut down right now. Change my mind.

Is this not exactly what he said?
We don't have the number of tests necessary to confirm 100% of deaths from COVID19 so yeah, doctors will occasionally have to use context clues but the way that this anchor is phrasing it (especially in the tweet) is like doctors are being directed by the CDC to mark a bunch of deaths as COVID19 without evidence. He then goes on to theorize that this is being done to fear monger and maybe because they get more money that way? SMH. Do we think that little of the CDC and of our doctors?

Do not blame him for what? Overreacting by shutting down our entire country's economy when regional or local shutdowns would have sufficed? Sorry, he gets the blame for that. Still waiting for someone to tell me why a bar in Terlingua Tx, in BFE with zero cases, needs to be treated the same as a bar in NYC and shut down right now. Change my mind.
We didn't have the testing necessary in the onset to determine which areas would need to be closed and which wouldn't. At this point it does look like we could reopen some areas

We don't have the number of tests necessary to confirm 100% of deaths from COVID19 so yeah, doctors will have to occasionally have to use context clues but the way that this anchor is phrasing it (especially in the tweet) is like doctors are being directed by the CDC to mark a bunch of deaths as COVID19 without evidence. He then goes on to theorize that this is being done to fear monger and maybe because they get more money that way? SMH. Do we think that little of the CDC and of our doctors?
Why would they ask doctors to assume cause of death in this instance but not others? That's what he is questioning. He says it plainly when he discusses asking the other lady if it sounded right to her. Why don't we assume flu deaths, or heart attacks etc. That's the question

Reactions: MoCityHawg
I'm also a millennial. A 10 min video is the equivalent of a 3 hour doc for me lol

This is the problem with millennials. They've grown up to think it's a microwave society. Everything is instantaneous. Spend as little time on something because they get bored and never learned to grind it out, but yet act like they can pontificate on aspects of life they don't have a F'ing clue about.

Yet, they are still being breast feed by their parents who have had them in bubble wrap their entire life to shield them from any hardships for fear of hurting their self-esteem.

Sorry, rant is over and I realize it's a stereotype...

We didn't have the testing necessary in the onset to determine which areas would need to be closed and which wouldn't. At this point it does look like we could reopen some areas
We also don't test dead people for every possible cause of pneumonia post-mortem, they simply put pneumonia

quoted correct poster, but incorrect post, sorry bout that

That was not my argument???

My argument was would companies such as "Now This" be financially responsible like some say Fox is.

Also, glad to hear you say Trump is 100x smarter than you. I don't think that, I think you're quite smart. You give him too much credit.
We should all be glad Trump isn’t running the show in this case.

This is the problem with millennials. They've grown up to think it's a microwave society. Everything is instantaneous. Spend as little time on something because they get bored and never learned to grind it out, but yet act like they can pontificate on aspects of life they don't have a F'ing clue about.

Yet, they are still being breast feed by their parents who have had them in bubble wrap their entire life to shield them from any hardships for fear of hurting their self-esteem.

Sorry, rant is over and I realize it's a stereotype...
jHawg had that rant ready to go just waiting to hit send

I still dont know how anyone could haved lived thrue hog football of the 90s and seen and lived the frenzy of the 98 season and not have some appreciation of Nutt. This state was jacked in 1998 when 8-0 and rated number 4. Like nothing i have witnessed. Nutt is like Trump in alot of ways. People hate him so bad they cannot see the good he has done. I dont get it.

I have a lot of appreciation for what Nutt did. Unlike you, I can see the flaws, and how they held him and our program back.

On the other hand, I don't understand how anyone who followed the Hogs from 2000-2007 could see how badly he underachieved given the in-state talent that he benefitted from, almost all of whom would've played for Coach Smallmouthhog or Coach Piggler had one of us been in charge. And how the conflicting forces of his ego and his chronic insecurity prevented him from going from a little above average to really good. The man had a lot of good qualities, but in the end let the bad ones keep him from being great.

With that I'll bow out of the Nutt discussion in a thread where it doesn't belong by saying something nice about the guy. I hope he never gets the coronavirus.

Why would they ask doctors to assume cause of death in this instance but not others? That's what he is questioning. He says it plainly when he discusses asking the other lady if it sounded right to her. Why don't we assume flu deaths, or heart attacks etc. That's the question
I think the difference is that we're trying to track the progress of this pandemic. We've had flu and heart attacks forever, we pretty much know the average number of those deaths per year already. We're trying to nail down just how deadly this disease is so it's important to count every COVID19 death if you can, without much uncertainty, determine that's what it was

This thread will go around and around and around.
I believe the below are undisputed facts to all on this thread
  • This virus is highly contagious
  • This virus is more lethal than the common flu (how much we are not sure of yet)
  • Trump administration, on the advice of experts, shut down the economy to avoid massive amounts of deaths and even more economic pain. These are similar steps that the rest of the world has taken. Some earlier, some later but the US is not unique in this. Experts around the world have agreed, for the most part about what is needed to stem the spread.
  • Experts who have spent their entire life doing this, know more than we do but does not mean they are always right
  • The models are changing constantly. This angers some people who use it as evidence that we took the wrong steps, while other people think it is because this is an unprecedented event that is very hard to predict
  • The total amount of deaths will be somewhere between what they are today and 200k (?)
  • The total number of deaths would most definitely be more had the government not taken the steps that they did
  • How many more deaths had we kept the economy open? We will literally never know. If it saved one life, then you could argue the economic pain was not worth saving one life, if it saved 500k, maybe it was worth the pain but again we will never know.
Does that sum things up?

This thread will go around and around and around.
I believe the below are undisputed facts to all on this thread
  • This virus is highly contagious
  • This virus is more lethal than the common flu (how much we are not sure of yet)
  • Trump administration, on the advice of experts, shut down the economy to avoid massive amounts of deaths and even more economic pain. These are similar steps that the rest of the world has taken. Some earlier, some later but the US is not unique in this. Experts around the world have agreed, for the most part about what is needed to stem the spread.
  • Experts who have spent their entire life doing this, know more than we do but does not mean they are always right
  • The models are changing constantly. This angers some people who use it as evidence that we took the wrong steps, while other people think it is because this is an unprecedented event that is very hard to predict
  • The total amount of deaths will be somewhere between what they are today and 200k (?)
  • The total number of deaths would most definitely be more had the government not taken the steps that they did
  • How many more deaths had we kept the economy open? We will literally never know. If it saved one life, then you could argue the economic pain was not worth saving one life, if it saved 500k, maybe it was worth the pain but again we will never know.
Does that sum things up?
cliffs?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT