ADVERTISEMENT

Former Mizzou player/ NFL prospect is gay

Originally posted by HOGDOC:
Marketing? Really?
Posted from wireless.rivals.com
Absolutely. These are business, and businesses look for untapped revenue streams all the time. Why did McDonalds start pandering to the Latin community with Spanish in the commercials and all Latin actors? Why did Cheerios have a mixed family in their Super Bowl ad? Why did Coke have a commercial with multiple nationalities singing America the Beautiful? Why has the NFL started playing games in Europe? It's to increase the product, marketing, and ultimately, revenue. It's more representative of the make-up of the United States, rather than pandering to white America. There is marketing potential in being the first team to draft and support a publicly gay athlete, and when that happens, I imagine they will be supported by that population. Of course, this is all an uneducated guess on my part.

I came out that I I was lesbian and I thought it wrong that they did not let me shower with the softball team .

There is no line that we can't cross lol. Lets have community showers for our kids at school (elementary school and up), what the hell , it cant hurt anything can it?.

All these good for him comments. What in the hell is wrong with society? Personally I could care less what a person does behind closed doors. It's none of my business, but does this make him a hero now that he's come out of the closet? Does it make someone special? This country goes out of it's way to be politically correct it's laughable.

Gulfcoast, you don't think it's pretty brave that this guy is about to be a part of a professional locker room and he reveals truth about himself that brings with it a great deal of hardship and adversity?

You ask if he's a hero? Maybe there's a kid somewhere who dreams of being in the NFL but is scared to death it will be impossible if anyone ever finds out he's gay, maybe he's a hero to him.

I say, I hope the NFL doesn't let him in, they've got a good thing going with the dog murderes, human murders, drug addicts, and gang bangers. You want this guy coming along trying to rub his weiner on a teammate? Un uh, No Sir!!!
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Lordy, the point I was making is, I could care less about wherever someone is gay or not. What people do in their own life's up to them. They shouldn't be treated as brave or heroes because they're gay. If society wouldn't make that big a deal when someone comes out, it would be better, IMO. Gay people have been on this earth as long as there's been people on it. Once again I'll say, before someone goes off, I could care less what someone's sexual preference is. Older I get the more I realize, whatever can make a person happy, it's their own choice. Nobody else's business.

This post was edited on 2/10 6:47 AM by GulfCoastHog

Gulfcoast,

I agree with you, I've been saying for years that I didn't understand what made Jackie Robinson so special. Being African American is nothing special. It didn't make him a hero.

Originally posted by lassie01:
Gulfcoast,

I agree with you, I've been saying for years that I didn't understand what made Jackie Robinson so special. Being African American is nothing special. It didn't make him a hero.
Well done.

Originally posted by Henry Swinehard:
I don't follow Dundee. Must be the language barrier.
I was basically asking where do we draw the line?. Do we allow grade schoolers to shower together as it should not matter about a persons sexuality and showering shouldn't come into it?.

I for one would not shower whilst there was a gay person in them. They have been saying for years that they can't help it and that they are born that way etc etc etc . Well you can't have it both ways, either you are attracted to males or you are not.

I was joking that I should be able to shower with the ladies on the softball team, whats the difference?.

Originally posted by RazorbackDundee:

I was basically asking where do we draw the line?. Do we allow grade schoolers to shower together as it should not matter about a persons sexuality and showering shouldn't come into it?.

I for one would not shower whilst there was a gay person in them. They have been saying for years that they can't help it and that they are born that way etc etc etc . Well you can't have it both ways, either you are attracted to males or you are not.

I was joking that I should be able to shower with the ladies on the softball team, whats the difference?.
Since I'm a woman, I'll have to change this a bit. It wouldn't bother me at all to line up in the showers with lesbians present. I wouldn't think twice about it. It would just be a bunch of naked women all taking a shower. We would all have the same "stuff." No big deal to me at all. Really.

Just because they are attracted to someone of the same sex doesn't mean they are attracted to every single person of the same sex.

Originally posted by RHS_Cyclone:

Just because they are attracted to someone of the same sex doesn't mean they are attracted to every single person of the same sex.
Exactly.

And so what if someone looks at your naked body anyway? Who cares. It's just a bunch of naked people in the showers. Nobody is asking anybody out for a date or forcing anybody to do anything. I find the whole thing to be a non-issue. But that's me. Maybe guys are different than women when it comes to being naked in front of each other.

This post was edited on 2/10 2:44 AM by Pigasus22

Originally posted by GulfCoastHog:
Lordy, the point I was making is, I could care less about wherever someone is gay or not. What people do in their own life's up to them. They shouldn't be treated as brave or heroes because their gay. If society wouldn't make that big a deal when someone comes out, it would be better, IMO. Gay people have been on this earth as long as there's been people on it. Once again I'll say, before someone goes off, I could care less what someone's sexual preference is. Older I get the more I realize, whatever can make a person happy, it's there own choice. Nobody else's business.
So many grammatical errors...

Must... not... go... grammar... Nazi...

Damn, it's not like you are in prison, where people would have an open chance to attack you and rape you. It isn't Shawshank!! He's just going to take a shower and wash the sweat and dirt off of himself. Just like you would be doing.

This post was edited on 2/10 4:25 AM by pkelley14

Originally posted by Pigasus22:
Originally posted by RHS_Cyclone:

Exactly.

And so what if someone looks at your naked body anyway? Who cares. It's just a bunch of naked people in the showers. Nobody is asking anybody out for a date or forcing anybody to do anything. I find the whole thing to be a non-issue. But that's me. Maybe guys are different than women when it comes to being naked in front of each other.

This post was edited on 2/10 2:44 AM by Pigasus22
So it would be fine for communal showers . Just because I am attracted to a woman doesn't mean I am attracted to all.

I am just saying , where does it all end . Where do people draw the line and who is responsible to draw that line?.

I know this isn't the same but the guy convicted brought it up . He was convicted of sex with a minor (she was 11 and he was 36) , he said that it wasn't long go that homosexuals were thought of in the same way and it wont be long until this is also accepted. She actually said that she loved him and would wait for him to get out of jail and when she reaches legal age they will get married blah blah. It was in Shreveport and it was in the Shreveport times about two months ago if anyone wants to read the whole thing.

Now I know this is diff (well in my mind it is ) , but my point is she was consenting so who is to tell these two that they cant?.

I personally would have him castrated and say welcome to your cell mate Tiny , he will be with you for the next 20 years lol.

Does that make me a bigot?

I say, I hope the NFL doesn't let him in, they've got a good thing going with the dog murderes, human murders, drug addicts, and gang bangers. You want this guy coming along trying to rub his weiner on a teammate? Un uh, No Sir!!!
I know this isn't a funny thread- but that was funny!

and it goes along with floridahog's point that, if the NFL is smart, the situation can be used as an advantage in marketing. i totally agree with that.

plus, nobody has mentioned the most important advantage. now manti teo can breathe a sigh of relief
wink.r191677.gif

(and all of the other gay players who didn't want to rock the boat)

I suspect those with questions probably just dont know that many gay people. And, its no big deal for them to ask questions. IMO part of our problem in America today is intolerance. We expect now that once someone is gay, trans, etc that they are immediately accepted without question. Problem is some people arent wired that way due to religious views or lack of familiarity. If we asking them to be tolerant of sexuality we should be tolerant of their personal opinions. When you attack someone for expressing an opinion it makes them defensive and its hard to understand when you're defensive so cut them some slack. Now if they had spewed hate speech that's different story.

To other points, sexuality does not make you a hero. However, a high profile athlete taking a stand and being proud of his sexuality when he's in the minority in a very masculine sport does help to change the perspective of the masses, brings scrutiny, could cost him money, etc and that does take courage. There's nothing wrong with admiring an individual for taking a stand.

As for the showering thing I think its a small piece of the equation. Sam coming out allows clubs to ask themselves honestly if their culture is a good fit for such a player and make a rational decision. There will be outside pressure from fans, media, etc and just like Tebow, who is the other end of the spectrum, clubs need to make sure they are prepared for it.

I too, long for the day when no one cares about sexuality, religious preference, skin color, etc. But, we're human beings and we're all learning and that's all one can ask. Hopefully, Michael Sam is a trancendent player who changes everyone's minds about what being a homosexual athlete (or human being for that matter) means. Until then we need to tolerate each other's opinions and understand we wont agree 100% of the time.

"Loyalty to a petrified opinion never yet broke a chain or freed a human soul." - Mark Twain

Good lord the things that get deleted and or locked around here and this doesn't. Don't understand this board anymore. Mods rules are a really confusing.

I'm going to step off in it and tell everyone ITT that I'm a Christian. I'm not in agreement with the stance of "it's none of my business" "live and let live" or "I'll be glad when this isn't a big deal".

Sin is a big deal. The word of God says that homosexuality is a sin and not to do it. When people tolerate and accept sin as a normal it's ok thing I don't think The Lord is pleased. Tolerance promotes more tolerance and before long it's completely ok. According to Gods word, it's not ok.

I do not believe God said its sin and then creates people as homosexual. There is a tendency to be more feminine or masculine, a choice becomes made to practice homosexuality and not "God made me that way".

With that said, I want to make it very clear that we are not called to hate, not called to condemnation of someone as a bad person and not called to judge homosexuals as terrible people. It's simply a sin in their life that needs correction and reproof not acceptance and tolerance.

As a Christ follower I'm called to love people through life's difficulties. Love is different than saying it's ok it's just you and none of my business.

My belief is hate the sin, love the sinner. We all have sin and need to be loved.

Originally posted by Da Biz:
I suspect those with questions probably just dont know that many gay people. And, its no big deal for them to ask questions. IMO part of our problem in America today is intolerance. We expect now that once someone is gay, trans, etc that they are immediately accepted without question. Problem is some people arent wired that way due to religious views or lack of familiarity. If we asking them to be tolerant of sexuality we should be tolerant of their personal opinions. When you attack someone for expressing an opinion it makes them defensive and its hard to understand when you're defensive so cut them some slack. Now if they had spewed hate speech that's different story.
Great point Da Biz.

Originally posted by curtisr:
I'm going to step off in it and tell everyone ITT that I'm a Christian. I'm not in agreement with the stance of "it's none of my business" "live and let live" or "I'll be glad when this isn't a big deal".

Sin is a big deal. The word of God says that homosexuality is a sin and not to do it. When people tolerate and accept sin as a normal it's ok thing I don't think The Lord is pleased. Tolerance promotes more tolerance and before long it's completely ok. According to Gods word, it's not ok.

I do not believe God said its sin and then creates people as homosexual. There is a tendency to be more feminine or masculine, a choice becomes made to practice homosexuality and not "God made me that way".

With that said, I want to make it very clear that we are not called to hate, not called to condemnation of someone as a bad person and not called to judge homosexuals as terrible people. It's simply a sin in their life that needs correction and reproof not acceptance and tolerance.

As a Christ follower I'm called to love people through life's difficulties. Love is different than saying it's ok it's just you and none of my business.

My belief is hate the sin, love the sinner. We all have sin and need to be loved.
I agree 100%

Originally posted by Mrs.Whiskey:

I know this isn't a funny thread- but that was funny!

and it goes along with floridahog's point that, if the NFL is smart, the situation can be used as an advantage in marketing. i totally agree with that.

plus, nobody has mentioned the most important advantage. now manti teo can breathe a sigh of relief
wink.r191677.gif

(and all of the other gay players who didn't want to rock the boat)
Manti Teo was the name that came to mind when I first saw this thread. I'm just surprised that we are near the end of page 2 before someone mentions this happened before, though it was not done with the maturity exhibited by Sam.

I kinda doubt the potential marketing advantage however. An openly gay, free agent NBA center came out last spring/summer. No one signed him. Granted he is 35, but what I remember of marketing would have spun some acceptable angle if it were truly an advantage to acquire new fans or revenue streams.

This post was edited on 2/10 11:46 AM by TNHOG66

The biggest thing that I've seen out of this so far is some media outlets are saying his draft stock went down overnight since coming out. That isn't true. He has been projected as a 4th-7th round pick for several days now. The following was said about him immediately following the senior bowl" "one-trick pony as a pass rusher, trying to rely on a speed-rush with very few moves. Doesn't bull rush much and isn't that effective doing it."

http://nffc.nbcsports.com/articles/cfb/46229/321/michael-sams-evaluation

Now, if he is a solid player and can make it. Good for him. I couldn't care less what he does in his personal life as long as he is not harming or killing others. I just don't like the media spin I'm already beginning to see today regarding his draft status when he has been projected as a late pick before this news came out.

Originally posted by floridahog:

Originally posted by ohlordy:
He can do what he wants but is it okay if some players don't want to shower around him?

I mean do they have rights also ?
Yes, they have the right to not shower with him the same as they have the right to not shower with whomever has cooties. If they see him in the shower before them, don't go in the shower. If they see him come in while they're showering, finish showering and getting ready. Problem solved.
Where can I find a job where I can shower with a bunch of chicks? That's the same thing right? Kinda?

Originally posted by GulfCoastHog:
All these good for him comments. What in the hell is wrong with society? Personally I could care less what a person does behind closed doors. It's none of my business, but does this make him a hero now that he's come out of the closet? Does it make someone special? This country goes out of it's way to be politically correct it's laughable.
I understand "coming out" for family and friends, but it should be a personal thing IMO. The PC aspect of our society seems to think it is something to be celebrated, a media event and any dissenting view is intolerance and bigatry, which is also intolerance. I personally abhor that lifestyle, but i'm not their judge.

Gulfcoast,

Well done.
You two ought to be ashamed of yourselves, one for using Jackie Robinson and the other for thinking it was cool.

Jackie Robinson faced things everyday that we can't even imagine. This was a much different country for black people in those days. Blacks were routinely turned away from restaurants, hotels, public transportation, even water fountains back then. He was treated like an animal by many. He was openly cussed, threatened, heckled, and harassed everywhere he went. He was often denied access to the hotels and restaurants his team went to, sometimes not allowed to travel by the same means, and treated like a criminal by many just for being a black man who played baseball in a white league. And he did it in a time when being a pro ball player did not pay enough to make you rich. The things he endured were not rewarded financially.

On the other hand, a gay person comes out of the closet in 2014 and Hollywood, the national media, and the perpetually politically correct can't do enough to prop them up, celebrate them, praise them, and basically grovel at their feet in a quest to make them heroes and victims all at the same time. Being a nationally known gay person is the new cool amongst all of those people and evokes celebrity status among them. Does anybody really think Ellen and Rosie are funny and talented enough to keep getting opportunities thrown at them based on their talent?

Jackie Robinson was a hero. Heroes overcome extreme hardships to accomplish something special. Coming out of the closet in 2014 isn't remotely the same thing.

Originally posted by Da Biz:
Thanks Mrs. Whiskey.

Also, I appreciate Curtisr's approach as well.
I understand Curtisr's point as well. It's just not my cup of tea. Different life experiences.

But I am tolerant of it, because Mr. Biz reminded me to be.

Originally posted by curtisr:

I don't think you understand the context in which homosexuality is a sin in the Bible. I think you interpreted it (or most likely had it interpreted for you) to fit your predisposition towards homosexuality.

I could debate this with you or whoever else but I will not. Hear this and know this, those who are intolerant of someone's sexual orientation are fighting a losing battle. History has proven time and time and time again that tolerance and acceptance will always win out. That, ignorance, which is the fuel for bigotry and discrimination will only hold out for so long.

You hit the nail on the head when you talked about more and more tolerance. That is exactly how it will happen, I think it is great that you understand this so you can make peace with it now. Because it is coming.

Originally posted by rzrbk7777:

Gulfcoast,

Well done.
You two ought to be ashamed of yourselves, one for using Jackie Robinson and the other for thinking it was cool.

Jackie Robinson faced things everyday that we can't even imagine. This was a much different country for black people in those days. Blacks were routinely turned away from restaurants, hotels, public transportation, even water fountains back then. He was treated like an animal by many. He was openly cussed, threatened, heckled, and harassed everywhere he went. He was often denied access to the hotels and restaurants his team went to, sometimes not allowed to travel by the same means, and treated like a criminal by many just for being a black man who played baseball in a white league. And he did it in a time when being a pro ball player did not pay enough to make you rich. The things he endured were not rewarded financially.

On the other hand, a gay person comes out of the closet in 2014 and Hollywood, the national media, and the perpetually politically correct can't do enough to prop them up, celebrate them, praise them, and basically grovel at their feet in a quest to make them heroes and victims all at the same time. Being a nationally known gay person is the new cool amongst all of those people and evokes celebrity status among them. Does anybody really think Ellen and Rosie are funny and talented enough to keep getting opportunities thrown at them based on their talent?

Jackie Robinson was a hero. Heroes overcome extreme hardships to accomplish something special. Coming out of the closet in 2014 isn't remotely the same thing.
You are correct, they are not the same thing, what Michael Sam is doing is nothing compared to what Jackie Robinson endured. Comparing the two was hyperbole; however, if you cannot see the parallels between the struggle then I'm afraid I'm not the one to illuminate you.

Jameis Christ you people.

He told the mizzou football team last year. His "family". Nothing was made of it and by all accounts was very well received by his teammates. He never told anyone they couldn't tell others.

Fast forward to now. NFL scouts start talking to other players as a part of their regular vetting process. It comes up that he is gay. Media starts finding out and he decides to have an interview to discuss it on his terms, and not someone else's.

You guys are trying to make him out as some type of activist couldn't be anymore wrong and look completely ridiculous on your soap box.

Agreed, to compare coming out with what Jackie Robinson and other blacks endured is the height of indifference and ignorance. Political Correctness is dumbing down this country and numbing society to real social issues and problems.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT