ADVERTISEMENT

Lady 'backs kneeling during national anthem and Jim supporting them...

But more one way than the other. Lets be honest about that one. Right?

I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the donation office and also Jeff's office hearing him talk to JD about this.

BTW, what has taking a knee done for anyone so far in furthering their rights? Just curious.

I think it would be worse for him the other way. Good luck recruiting AA's for the rest of your career if you shut this down.

Reactions: eqthomas325
I think it would be worse for him the other way. Good luck recruiting AA's for the rest of your career if you shut this down.
Solid point. I was thinking you're cutting off some Caucasian donors and $$ would begin to trickle instead of flow.

....curious, how did he "support" them in this? Go public with it or behind closed doors or what? That could change things.

Solid point. I was thinking you're cutting off some Caucasian donors and $$ would begin to trickle instead of flow.

....curious, how did he "support" them in this? Go public with it or behind closed doors or what? That could change things.
"I know in their hearts they, more than anything else, they want healing, they want better communication, they want to be understood," Dykes said. "They are just dealing with social issues that are in our country today.

"I respect their rights and what they did tonight. They know exactly where I stand about the national anthem and it's different than some of their views."

Dykes said he had multiple meetings with his team leading up to the game about the players' desire to protest. Several other players stood during the anthem.

"They had very, very strong, well-informed, educated opinions based on their real life experiences, their real life emotions," Dykes said. "I am very, very proud of them."

The people that founded this country did so because they were tired of political and religious persecution.

They would be ashamed to see people in the United States demand young people face "consequences" for exercising their right to express themselves.

You folks are the ones that would have been pissed at Thomas Jefferson for not showing respect to the Union Jack.

Sad

The players address it here:

“Recently you all know that there’s been a lot of killings from police officers of African-Americans and other minorities,” Danberry told the Northwest Arkansas Democrat-Gazette. “Me and my teammates took a kneel today during the national anthem to speak for those who are oppressed. As Razorback student-athletes we have a platform to do that.”

"I know in their hearts they, more than anything else, they want healing, they want better communication, they want to be understood," Dykes said. "They are just dealing with social issues that are in our country today.

"I respect their rights and what they did tonight. They know exactly where I stand about the national anthem and it's different than some of their views."

Dykes said he had multiple meetings with his team leading up to the game about the players' desire to protest. Several other players stood during the anthem.

"They had very, very strong, well-informed, educated opinions based on their real life experiences, their real life emotions," Dykes said. "I am very, very proud of them."
Solid way to do it.
Knowing he doesn't feel the same way a lot of his AA players do and saying that was the best way to go about it. Shout out to his wisdom or our PR department on that one.

Glad to see his opinion on kneeling doesn't coincide with theirs though. That's a saving grace.

Yall sure feel some type of way about this, and are very harsh. I wonder if the feelings would be the same if this was the baseball team. Those kids have the right to express themselves, just like you have the right to go off on this board. Like it or not, they still have the right. I have a 14 year old daughter and it was a great teaching moment for her. Oh and by the way, her cousin is one of the girls kneeling. She looks up to her cousin and wants to play on the Razorback softball team, but I think I might have to push her to another school with thoughts like this. Oh and before you say something about the military, I am military and I have lost more brothers than you can ever imagine.
There are military brothers and sisters that do not understand and yes have very harsh feelings disrespecting our nation. What exactly is the point of disrespecting our nations flag? I'll hang up and listen.

Last edited:
When you have lost numerous family members fighting for these fvcks it's a real slap in the face. I have the freedom to call out the protesters and any scum that supports them. Piss off!
What are you talking about? Get ahold of yourself.

Good for Jimmy, good for Jeff, good for the athletes. They did nothing to physically harm anyone. They are furthering the conversation, for good or ill (definitely for ill on this board), and causing people, hopefully, to fully consider their roles in our society.

The social/political climate in this country so vile right now that the ability to entertain someone else's beliefs without agreeing with them or responding with vitriol is unfortunate.

Go Hogs

Good for Jimmy, good for Jeff, good for the athletes. They did nothing to physically harm anyone. They are furthering the conversation, for good or ill (definitely for ill on this board), and causing people, hopefully, to fully consider their roles in our society.

The social/political climate in this country so vile right now that the ability to entertain someone else's beliefs without agreeing with them or responding with vitriol is unfortunate.

Go Hogs

Well said...thank you

they have the right to kneel I have the right to not support. For jimmy dykes and Jeff long to support this is terrible
For them to support kids who they have pledged to support is terrible? For them to teach young women that they CAN affect change is terrible? That's ridiculous. There is zero reason for you to care this much. College is about finding yourself and stretching your limitations, and these young ladies are doing just that. If you don't like it, find another team to root for.

They are protesting over lost lives. Where are the protests when a person not of color is murdered? This is very disrespectful to kneel during the national anthem. If they don't care for it, they can leave, won't bother me. Those women scholarships should be stripped.
Why should they be stripped again? Because they feel that change should happen? College kids protesting perceived injustices is a new thing? How old are you? Do you make it a habit to jump on the wrong side of history?

If we start focusing on the REASON behind the act instead of the act itself, conversations will be had, and we as a country could move forward.

The players address it here:

“Recently you all know that there’s been a lot of killings from police officers of African-Americans and other minorities,” Danberry told the Northwest Arkansas Democrat-Gazette. “Me and my teammates took a kneel today during the national anthem to speak for those who are oppressed. As Razorback student-athletes we have a platform to do that.”

Still having a hard time understanding who is oppressed.

Reactions: tcchog
For them to support kids who they have pledged to support is terrible? For them to teach young women that they CAN affect change is terrible? That's ridiculous. There is zero reason for you to care this much. College is about finding yourself and stretching your limitations, and these young ladies are doing just that. If you don't like it, find another team to root for.

They are not affecting change. They are drawing attention to themselves and shedding a bad light on the university and program while they do it. What change has come from athletes taking a knee? Other than a ratings dip that is being partly attributed to said kneeling, nothing has or will happen. It is a "look at me" moment, and in this case, the only change that it will affect is lower attendance and reduction of donations.

Reactions: Bag man and OPPHOG
For those of you upset about the protests and demanding questions - how many of you are supporting the totalitarian running for president?

They are not affecting change. They are drawing attention to themselves and shedding a bad light on the university and program while they do it. What change has come from athletes taking a knee? Other than a ratings dip that is being partly attributed to said kneeling, nothing has or will happen. It is a "look at me" moment, and in this case, the only change that it will affect is lower attendance and reduction of donations.
What do you expect, immediate results? Nothing works that way. If you have a problem with they way you are treated, I'm sure you just put your head down and take it, right? Don't be ridiculous. College kids are going to protest, that's part of the deal. I think it's great that these ladies have used their talents toward something that actually matters, and I couldn't be more proud of Long and Dykes for standing behind them. If they didn't it would be a real mess.

I just want to know why you are flipping out? Why is this so disrespectful to you?
I just think there are better ways to handle racism. When u disrespect the flag you are lumping everyone into the fight. This is about police violence against blacks. I'm just asking to direct this fight to them, get out and go to the police stations and demand change or make them see that all blacks are not bad people. I don't want to be labeled a crack head just because my sister was one!

Reactions: DickeyDoos
@g&h hog I can understand that and that is a very valid point. People should protest police brutality at the stations and be heard there. Just a little back story on one of the girls that kneeling, her father which is my cousin, is a LR police officer.

I just think there are better ways to handle racism. When u disrespect the flag you are lumping everyone into the fight. This is about police violence against blacks. I'm just asking to direct this fight to them, get out and go to the police stations and demand change or make them see that all blacks are not bad people. I don't want to be labeled a crack head just because my sister was one!

I agree. I don't understand the connection between the flag and police in select cities, and never have. The federal government doesn't hire the police, they don't elect the sheriffs, etc.

If we as a nation were more serious about the social issues that affect these athlete's and that nation racism, sexism, prejudice, etc. this would never be a problem (which it's really not, it's a freedom they choose to exercise). If that is enough for you to not support Arkansas, thats the real sad story...address the root of the cause, not the symptom.

What do you expect, immediate results? Nothing works that way. If you have a problem with they way you are treated, I'm sure you just put your head down and take it, right? Don't be ridiculous. College kids are going to protest, that's part of the deal. I think it's great that these ladies have used their talents toward something that actually matters, and I couldn't be more proud of Long and Dykes for standing behind them. If they didn't it would be a real mess.

They used their talents to kneel and disrespect their country. The country that has given them the opportunity to pay for their college playing a game. I couldn't be more ashamed of Dykes and Long. In the long run, all of this kneeling isn't going to change anything. It is just going to be a distraction that alienates a large portion of the fanbase and potentially has a negative impact on overall fundraising of the athletic department. Great timing as well. Right in the middle of a construction project.

Reactions: mgrubb and candyred
They used their talents to kneel and disrespect their country. The country that has given them the opportunity to pay for their college playing a game. I couldn't be more ashamed of Dykes and Long. In the long run, all of this kneeling isn't going to change anything. It is just going to be a distraction that alienates a large portion of the fanbase and potentially has a negative impact on overall fundraising of the athletic department. Great timing as well. Right in the middle of a construction project.
Just wait until tomorrow when the football team does it NOT IN PROTEST, but in Show of Support for the womens basketball team. Then the men's basketball team will do the same, again not on protest but show if support for the women because of the stink it raised.

I don't want to get a lifetime ban from here so all I'm going to say is I hope they lose every game.

When an act, for good reason or not, directly offends another group(Military, Veterans, POWs, and Those who gave their life for this country) then you have to stop. You can say it has nothing to do with the military or veterans but when you kneel at that flag and at that anthem then that's exactly who you are attacking. I know many may not agree with me on this but as a Veteran who comes from a family of veterans I will tell you this is a slap in the face to me, those in my family who fought and those in my family who have died for that anthem and that flag.

Reactions: mgrubb
Some of you should be ashamed of yourselves. I am a veteran. I served under that flag and the national anthem means a lot to me. However, I also defended our civil liberties and our Constitution. While I don't agree with their opinions or platform, IT IS THEIR RIGHT! Jeff Long and Jimmy Dykes are supporting their right to protest. Hurray for them. A major platform for this Presidential election has been about losing our civil liberties. Some of you will vote based on this very platform and you smugly want to deny these young ladies their rights. Again, shame on you.

Some of you should be ashamed of yourselves. I am a veteran. I served under that flag and the national anthem means a lot to me. However, I also defended our civil liberties and our Constitution. While I don't agree with their opinions or platform, IT IS THEIR RIGHT! Jeff Long and Jimmy Dykes are supporting their right to protest. Hurray for them. A major platform for this Presidential election has been about losing our civil liberties. Some of you will vote based on this very platform and you smugly want to deny these young ladies their rights. Again, shame on you.

Fine. They have their right to protest (while representing an entire university), and I have a right to not support them in any way, shape, or form.

Reactions: mgrubb
The issue with the protest is that the national anthem is something that military and veterans hold in a different perspective than the rest of society. Protest that creates a negative feeling in this group will never have a positive effect. It will continue to put people on two sides instead of bringing people together. I do not know what some of the girls may have experienced as well as they do not know the sacrifices that veterans have made so in the end you will have two sides that will never have a positive impact. I have gone to war to protect people's freedom of speech but just because you can do something does not mean you should do it.

I've had several family members serve and a nephew serving now. They have served to protect freedoms - not limit them.

You definitely have the right to call out protestors, but Jeff Long doesn't have the ability to tell Jimmy Dykes, Bret Bielema, or any other coach/player that freedom of expression will "not be tolerated." If you think he does you need a civics 101 lesson.

If you don't understand that speech may be regulated as to time, place & manner, then perhaps you need the civics lesson.

Yall sure feel some type of way about this, and are very harsh. I wonder if the feelings would be the same if this was the baseball team. Those kids have the right to express themselves, just like you have the right to go off on this board. Like it or not, they still have the right. I have a 14 year old daughter and it was a great teaching moment for her. Oh and by the way, her cousin is one of the girls kneeling. She looks up to her cousin and wants to play on the Razorback softball team, but I think I might have to push her to another school with thoughts like this. Oh and before you say something about the military, I am military and I have lost more brothers than you can ever imagine.[/
Yall sure feel some type of way about this, and are very harsh. I wonder if the feelings would be the same if this was the baseball team. Those kids have the right to express themselves, just like you have the right to go off on this board. Like it or not, they still have the right. I have a 14 year old daughter and it was a great teaching moment for her. Oh and by the way, her cousin is one of the girls kneeling. She looks up to her cousin and wants to play on the Razorback softball team, but I think I might have to push her to another school with thoughts like this. Oh and before you say something about the military, I am military and I have lost more brothers than you can ever imagine.
Ever since this stuff started with Collin K, I have had very mixed emotions. Here's where I'm at: If you have a platform (sports in this case) and you want to use it to support or raise awareness for a cause that you believe in, then by all means, that's your choice. I am deeply saddened that they have chosen to make their stand during our country's national anthem. I think it is just so utterly disrespectful to every current and former veteran. Is it their right? Absolutely. It's still very disappointing to see. As for you sir, thank you for your service and your sacrifice brother.

If you want to "protest" by not respecting the country and showing no respect for the people that do is one thing. To protest this issue of police shooting people who are resisting arrest is stupid.

Reactions: TrainHawg
As a veteran I respect their right to protest, but I am DEEPLY disappointed that people have chosen to use this platform to do it. To me, it's disrespectful.

Reactions: Army_hog_142
Much better to be proactive than reactive for sure. The answer would have just been to shut it down ahead of time.

As for recruiting AA, lots of them don't care just like lots of whites don't care. It will be old news very soon.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT