ADVERTISEMENT

Lady 'backs kneeling during national anthem and Jim supporting them...

Some of you should be ashamed of yourselves. I am a veteran. I served under that flag and the national anthem means a lot to me. However, I also defended our civil liberties and our Constitution. While I don't agree with their opinions or platform, IT IS THEIR RIGHT! Jeff Long and Jimmy Dykes are supporting their right to protest. Hurray for them. A major platform for this Presidential election has been about losing our civil liberties. Some of you will vote based on this very platform and you smugly want to deny these young ladies their rights. Again, shame on you.

Bravo....hilarious that some on here act as if all veterans are opposed to the actions of these young ladies. Veterans are like every other group in this country. Diverse in their thinking, actions, etc.

I just want to know why you are flipping out? Why is this so disrespectful to you?

There are many ways to protest, why are they choosing this route? What change or what good has come from the protests so far around the country? What are the girls who protested last night doing to improve the conditions that they are protesting? Are they drawing attention to a problem or are they just drawing attention to themselves? Those are a lot of the questions I have about all of the protests.

It is disrespectful to me because when I stand up for the anthem I am supporting the people who fight or gave their life for this country. We have problems, I don't think anyone would say that we don't. But, I think there are more effective ways to protest or way to get involved to help find some solutions to our issues.

Reactions: airproar
Much better to be proactive than reactive for sure. The answer would have just been to shut it down ahead of time.

As for recruiting AA, lots of them don't care just like lots of whites don't care. It will be old news very soon.
If you read his quotes, you can tell there were plenty of conversations beforehand.

If you don't understand that speech may be regulated as to time, place & manner, then perhaps you need the civics lesson.

Sure, the 1st amendment does not give you the right to yell "fire" in a crowded auditorium. It has never been even remotely construed, however, to not protect the type of peaceful speech these young ladies made by kneeling.

Try again.

Reactions: JunkyardHawg
I still contend that we should not turn crazy towards OUR Razorback athletes. These are young , emotional students. Some of you attacking them are the same ones who say some Hogs who get a DUI should ne forgiven because people do dumb stuff in college.

These kids are doing what the leaders are inspiring them to do. They do not think they are intentionally trashing the flag and country and it is red neck to take it that personally. I wish the kids had it explained to them that they were hurting people who think this protest is veteran hating........and that is on Jimmy Dykes

Some of you should be ashamed of yourselves. I am a veteran. I served under that flag and the national anthem means a lot to me. However, I also defended our civil liberties and our Constitution. While I don't agree with their opinions or platform, IT IS THEIR RIGHT! Jeff Long and Jimmy Dykes are supporting their right to protest. Hurray for them. A major platform for this Presidential election has been about losing our civil liberties. Some of you will vote based on this very platform and you smugly want to deny these young ladies their rights. Again, shame on you.

It is their right, and it is also the right of the people who disagree with them to voice their opinion as well. This whole freedom thing works both ways you know.

Reactions: mikedamone
@g&h hog I can understand that and that is a very valid point. People should protest police brutality at the stations and be heard there. Just a little back story on one of the girls that kneeling, her father which is my cousin, is a LR police officer.
grittz, they need to pick a different way to do it. Disrespecting millions of people to make a point is not beneficial to their cause. It makes people shut down instead of what they want, which is people to open up and start a dialogue.

grittz, you don't start a dialogue with someone by opening the conversation with an insult do you? It's counter productive to the cause. You start out a conversation with an insult and the person you are talking to is either going to pop you in the face, get highly irritated and respond emotionally, or walk away. All 3 responses are the exact opposite of what they supposedly want to do. Which makes me think that their protest isn't a means to "start a dialogue" like so many supporters would tell you. I think it is just a way to passive aggressively insult hundreds of millions of people. If not, then they are the dumbest protesters of all time.

There are many ways to protest, why are they choosing this route? What change or what good has come from the protests so far around the country? What are the girls who protested last night doing to improve the conditions that they are protesting? Are they drawing attention to a problem or are they just drawing attention to themselves? Those are a lot of the questions I have about all of the protests.
I've thought these same things but haven't seen it said this well.
If you're taking a knee, create change off the court/field and do something about it.
Quit drawing attention to yourselves and create change, don't just stand (knee) for it.

And what has changed since Kap taking a knee? Conversations, sure? Downed tv ratings for NFL? Sure. Culture shift? Doubtful. Laws changed? No.

Yes they do and I agree. But folks who find it disrespectful due to lost relatives fighting for this country have the same right to disagree. Works both ways.

If you read his quotes, you can tell there were plenty of conversations beforehand.
I didn't read it, what were the conversations? I can't imagine they told them not to do it, then they did it, and then they came out in support.

They are protesting over lost lives. Where are the protests when a person not of color is murdered? This is very disrespectful to kneel during the national anthem. If they don't care for it, they can leave, won't bother me. Those women scholarships should be stripped.
Nobody has stopped you from protesting the murders of non-minority lives. You have the right just as the girls and others do to protest minority murders.

They used their talents to kneel and disrespect their country. The country that has given them the opportunity to pay for their college playing a game. I couldn't be more ashamed of Dykes and Long. In the long run, all of this kneeling isn't going to change anything. It is just going to be a distraction that alienates a large portion of the fanbase and potentially has a negative impact on overall fundraising of the athletic department. Great timing as well. Right in the middle of a construction project.
It is my opinion that a peaceful show of protest is showing the ultimate respect for the country whether I agree with it or not.

Do they have the right to peacfully protest? YES

Do you have the right to withdraw donations, stop attending games, rant and rave on the internet? YES

Should they "face the consequences" of their actions and be punished in some form or fashion? ABSOLUTELY NOT

Sure, the 1st amendment does not give you the right to yell "fire" in a crowded auditorium. It has never been even remotely construed, however, to not protect the type of peaceful speech these young ladies made by kneeling.

Try again.
Why not as a coach have the balls to tell any student athlete having a desire to protest our nations anthem and flag to stand quietly in tunnel until the honor is concluded. Then come join the team. That to me is a peaceful protest. All this other crap is for attention. We have become soft the past 8 years. I don't mean to be political but it is where we are today. Soft

Try again.

Excellent example of when you can be punished for speech as an exception to the 1st Amendment, but also where people tend to get confused about what is protected.

These students will not be subject to arrest or fine because of 1st Amendment protections against laws like that. At the same time, they are not free to do whatever they want & have no consequences under the 1st Amendment. (please note, I'm using consequences as something entirely different than punishment)

If they wanted to stage an LGBT protest by wearing rainbow uniforms or show military support by wearing camo, they could do so without legal punishment. However, Long or Dykes would be fully within their rights to not allow them to wear those uniforms &/or participate as members of the team. They could even kick them off the team. Those would be consequences, not legal punishment.

Keeping the hypothetical camo or rainbow protest from happening doesn't prevent those players from expressing their views, so they still have freedom of speech as to content. However, the time, place & manner of how that is expressed may be regulated . . . even by a state institution.

Reactions: airproar
Nobody has stopped you from protesting the murders of non-minority lives. You have the right just as the girls and others do to protest minority murders.
No one is saying that they don't have the right to do what they are doing. Please please please point out one time in this thread where someone said that. Then your reply will make sense.

It is disrespectful to hundreds of millions of people. That is the point that should be taken. That is why it will not affect change, instead it will only make matters worse by pissing off the majority of the population. How hard is that to understand?

I wish the "supporters" would just drop the responses of "they have the right.." "this is done to start a dialogue" blah blah blah and tell it like it is. This is nothing more than a show of disrespect because of anger. It is essentially a bunch of little children throwing a fit. They might as well go piss on the graves of millions of vets. It is the same premise. Disrespecting hundreds of millions of people because of the actions of a few bad cops? Pure stupidity.

This is not to start a dialogue. Call it what it really is and quit insulting people's intelligence by saying otherwise.

Does this bother others as much as it does me? I was a big fan of jimmy but now I really couldn't give a rip about the women's basketball program in general now...
They clearly spit on the graves of the men and women who have fought and died for our country. Find a better way. MANY blacks who have been shot were shot because they were belligerent to the police. They were brought up and taught to be that way. EVERYONE deserves respect. Even, and most of all, our police forces. To think this isn't a problem is not seeing this objectively.

Reactions: jlreich
They clearly spit on the graves of the men and women who have fought and died for our country. Find a better way. MANY blacks who have been shot were shot because they were belligerent to the police. They were brought up and taught to be that way. EVERYONE deserves respect. Even, and most of all, our police forces. To think this isn't a problem is not seeing this objectively.
yep, the lack of respect that is being taught to some of our young people is sickening. "Look at me, look at me. Screw everyone else and their feelings, look at me and my problems".

Reactions: jlreich
No one is saying that they don't have the right to do what they are doing. Please please please point out one time in this thread where someone said that. Then your reply will make sense.

It is disrespectful to hundreds of millions of people. That is the point that should be taken. That is why it will not affect change, instead it will only make matters worse by pissing off the majority of the population. How hard is that to understand?

I wish the "supporters" would just drop the responses of "they have the right.." "this is done to start a dialogue" blah blah blah and tell it like it is. This is nothing more than a show of disrespect because of anger. It is essentially a bunch of little children throwing a fit. They might as well go piss on the graves of millions of vets. It is the same premise. Disrespecting hundreds of millions of people because of the actions of a few bad cops? Pure stupidity.

This is not to start a dialogue. Call it what it really is and quit insulting people's intelligence by saying otherwise.
I lost a grandfather I never met who fought for their right. Nothing you say really matters because it's well chronicled of what you are. I know plenty of military folks both family and non-family who don't feel it's disrespectful and agree it's their right. So stop trying to speak for everyone. I'm neither a supporter or dissenter. It's not the approach I would take but my grandfather did die so that everyone could have those rights.

It would have been better if they marched around Bud Walton with signs and chanting "Pigs in a blanket, fry'em like bacon".

I lost a grandfather I never met who fought for their right. Nothing you say really matters because it's well chronicled of what you are. I know plenty of military folks both family and non-family who don't feel it's disrespectful and agree it's their right. So stop trying to speak for everyone. I'm neither a supporter or dissenter. It's not the approach I would take but my grandfather did die so that everyone could have those rights.
You keep bringing up that is is their right. No one is arguing that. Why do you keep repeating it?
are you a robot?

You want a dialogue? Then talk about something else other than their rights. Everyone agrees with that. You are arguing with yourself on that.

You think black people are brought up and taught to be belligerent to the police? There are a lot of people out there who don't respect police and even hate them. Some of them are black. Some of them are white.

The point here is that everyone has the right to do with their stage as they please. You don't have to like it or support it. But as long as everyone is peaceful and within their rights, I don't see what anyone wants Long/Dykes to do.

Reactions: eqthomas325
Not America, just you. I wouldn't lump everyone in the same category.

You think little of me for saying that, nearly 50 years after a much bigger & more famous protest for similar issues during the National Anthem, America still stands strong?

Fair enough. I find your point myopic, but I also think America is strong enough to handle that too.

You keep bringing up that is is their right. No one is arguing that. Why do you keep repeating it?
are you a robot?

You want a dialogue? Then talk about something else other than their rights. Everyone agrees with that. You are arguing with yourself on that.
Can you not read? I also said everyone does not believe it's disrespectful as you claim they do. I don't expect much from you though.

Can you not read? I also said everyone does not believe it's disrespectful as you claim they do. I don't expect much from you though.
I said hundreds of millions of people are offended and your response is that you know some people that aren't so that makes my statement wrong. Bwahahahaha, you're BRILLIANT!

I just wonder if the posters ITT that are so offended because of the anthem or they are just racist. I get the people that served but let's get real it is the South and there is still a lot of hate.

That's exactly what I'm saying.

I agree that some of the black killing was unwarranted, but a large majority of blacks killed by police had an arrest record as long as from Fayettville to Little Rock. I guess our police are to wait until they are shot at to respond.

ADVERTISEMENT