ADVERTISEMENT

OT- Where are the opinions on Nike ?

I spent 21 years in the US Army to protect freedom of speech, so I agree with this post. However, I don’t like the way the protesters are using the National Anthem for the protest. I totally understand why they are doing it. I just wish they would find another way to protest.
When it first happened, he straight up said he did it because "he wasn't going to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people." At the time, it wasn't just a peaceful protest to draw attention to the issues. It was about not having "pride" in the flag and the national anthem and the country. IMO, while protesting something that was a local community issue(police forces), not a national government issue.

Then the pig socks. Then the Castro shirt which was the epitome of stupid.

A lot of people and athletes have done a better job presenting the issues to the public than Kaep did in the beginning. The focus has shifted very much away from the flag and the anthem and become more about peaceful protest and bringing attention to issues, and less about not having pride in the flag of the United States.

And Trump and Papa John etc turned it into a total clusterf___ times 100. Then, there became a line drawn in the sand, with two sides, little middle ground, where it was difficult have the opinion Paul Loyd has above.

you think schools are going to drop Nike? The people that decide those kinds of things are not as ignorant as some of the fans.

Nike pays high profile schools huge sums of money to have their brand on the merchandise that fans are buying. If the merchandise isn’t selling, wouldn’t Nike be hurting from that? In California or more left leaning states there probably won’t be an issue. But Alabama? Texas?

Reactions: gourdneck
A military member is the guy that asked him to start kneeling, so it isn’t that far fetched. What do little league players do when someone gets hurt? When they’re listening to their coach give a speech? When did kneeling become disrespect?
Yes and no. Boyer convinced Kap to kneel rather than sit (as he planned). He does not support the action, but 100% supports the message and his friend.

Reactions: brianflops
Nike pays high profile schools huge sums of money to have their brand on the merchandise that fans are buying. If the merchandise isn’t selling, wouldn’t Nike be hurting from that? In California or more left leaning states there probably won’t be an issue. But Alabama? Texas?
The 30 percent of people that are upset about this probably cant afford Nike anyway.

The 30 percent of people that are upset about this probably cant afford Nike anyway.

Do you understand percentages? Adding and subtraction? It’s not that complicated. More than 30% are upset about this issue, especially in these states that I’m referring to. Clearly you can’t understand in your state of ignorance.

Do you understand percentages? Adding and subtraction? It’s not that complicated. More than 30% are upset about this issue, especially in these states that I’m referring to. Clearly you can’t understand in your state of ignorance.
you are way over estimating the amount of ignorant people like yourself that will stop buying Nike. This is a straight up money move by Nike.

More people will buy in support than they will lose by boycott.

I can't tell you the last time I saw a "Just Do It" t-shirt. I would imagine I will see many over the next few months.

Nike knows this.

I would imagine sales for this shoe will greatly decrease, though.

white%20nike%20sneakers%20for%20men-517byh.jpg

Nike doesn't give a shit about old white men that cant stand to see an African American man stand up for racial injustice. They cater to young people, athletes and women and all of those are going to be through the roof in support for Nike.

Reactions: KarlPorkington

I can't tell you the last time I saw a "Just Do It" t-shirt. I would imagine I will see many over the next few months.

Nike knows this.

DAMN. So true

I think he and others, could have picked another way of protesting that didn't take the risk of alienating military people, veterans, and their families. I always hear about this being about people coming together to bring awareness about a social issue and yet I don't feel like I am being made aware more than I feel like myself and my family, which is full of military veterans from just about every branch, are being stepped on in order to make people aware of a social issue. Many, many people, soldiers who we will never get to thank personally, died for this country, this anthem, and this flag. Every time you see that flag or hear that anthem its a reminder of all of those who have died to allow us live the way we live and be free. When you stand, take your hat off your head, and put your hand over your heart, it is a symbol of respect and appreciation for all those who have given their lives and their freedom so that you can stand there and be free men and women. Regardless of the reason, and I do understand the issue as well as I am in agreement that there has to be something done, kneeling at the flag and the anthem is a disrespect to all those who have died for our country and I feel like there is a much better way of making people aware without stepping on those who died to give us that right. I have no problem with Kap but I do have a problem with how he chose to make people aware, So no, I won't continue to support Nike in my household in terms of gear and shoes including buying Arkansas gear.

Last edited:
Well, just yes. The military member asked him to kneel. That was all I claimed.
Technically, you are 100% correct. He asked him to kneel(something he didn't support but in his mind was more respectful than the alternative). IMO, posting that Boyer asked him to do it could be misconstrued as the entire idea was Boyer's.

Technically, you are 100% correct. He asked him to kneel(something he didn't support but in his mind was more respectful than the alternative). IMO, posting that Boyer asked him to do it could be misconstrued as the entire idea was Boyer's.
If that was unclear, my apologies.

Reactions: mikedamone
Nike doesn't give a shit about old white men that cant stand to see an African American man stand up for racial injustice. They cater to young people, athletes and women and all of those are going to be through the roof in support for Nike.

Do you go to football games? White people buy Nike apparel believe it or not. I’m saying it will hurt Nike in conservative states. Nike might sell more merchandise for a short term, but it’s all risk and little reward in my opinion.

Nike knows this.

This is a short sighted move IMO. It may draw some initial support for Nike, but you risk losing a decent chunk of business for getting involved in politics. However, Nike is absolutely getting a ton of free pub for this move. Free market will decide!

Do you go to football games? White people buy Nike apparel believe it or not. I’m saying it will hurt Nike in conservative states. Nike might sell more merchandise for a short term, but it’s all risk and little reward in my opinion.
The people that have money to buy Nike usually don't have these ignorant ideals like you. while others will say they are never buying Nike again and continue to buy their Walmart branded Arkansas apparel.

Nike executives are smart. They weren't going to do this without doing some serious market research on the front end.

They know their target demographic, and where the majority of that demographic stand on the issue.

Also, all you people that say your not going to by Nike stuff, including Arkansas apparel. You do know that in the long run that is only going to hurt the University itself. Its contract with Nike, is based on sales, exposure, etc. Therefore, by boycotting Arkansas apparel you are also hurting the athletic department

Reactions: eldo84
As a veteran, I am not offended by kneeling for the National Anthem. I'm pretty okay with most forms of non-violent protest (and some forms of violent...). I understand the point of view of those who are offended, I just don't agree in this case - to me they are exercising the rights I served to protect.

The people that have money to buy Nike usually don't have these ignorant ideals like you. while others will say they are never buying Nike again and continue to buy their Walmart branded Arkansas apparel.
That seems pretty uncalled for.

That's the stupid line in the sand crap on this issue. You can be against kneeling during the anthem and not be ignorant(or racist). Or you can support Kaep and not hate America.

Numbers and facts don’t have ideals. You clearly think that the people upset are broke dumb white people. Have you been to a football game? A lot of white people decked out in Nike merchandise. Maybe you can’t afford to go, and that’s ok if you can’t. This kind ignorance is crazy to me.

Haven't watched a NFL game in couple of years. Many things occurring in past couple of years have reinforced
this for me. This action by Nike is just one more to add to the list, for me.

These are my decisions, I have never said anything negative concerning anyone or any product, related to this issue. Individuals make their own decisions, as I do.

Reactions: Pigtail2
To me move threads to the Grim Bottom, locking threads and deleting threads really shows the same as what is happening on Tweeter, Face Book, and other social media, if you can not defend your position, you throw up
your hands then remove it for anyone to see. What happened to free speech?

Reactions: Pigtail2
When it first happened, he straight up said he did it because "he wasn't going to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people." At the time, it wasn't just a peaceful protest to draw attention to the issues. It was about not having "pride" in the flag and the national anthem and the country. IMO, while protesting something that was a local community issue(police forces), not a national government issue.

Then the pig socks. Then the Castro shirt which was the epitome of stupid.

A lot of people and athletes have done a better job presenting the issues to the public than Kaep did in the beginning. The focus has shifted very much away from the flag and the anthem and become more about peaceful protest and bringing attention to issues, and less about not having pride in the flag of the United States.

And Trump and Papa John etc turned it into a total clusterf___ times 100. Then, there became a line drawn in the sand, with two sides, little middle ground, where it was difficult have the opinion Paul Loyd has above.

This is a fantastic post. I believe in the new message but not so much the messenger. I think Colin is kind of a fraud and not really smart enough to come up with all of this on his own. That being said, he's sacrificed to stay the course even though it wasn't his original point.

Too many young black lives have been lost. Regardless of how they present themselves to officers, whether it's in a classy or disrespectful manner. Nobody deserves to lose their lives over it.

I loathe racism and there's plenty of it being doled out by both sides. It's become more about Rustling Jimmies lately and the message is getting lost. Change will come from within but until folks start trying to understand each other rather than being understood we will be at a stalemate.

I believe in the message, don't care for the messenger and believe the stage has been overplayed. Time for action, whatever that may be. I offer up smiles and hugs on the daily. I help in other ways that I won't put on here.

Reactions: mikedamone
My opinion has nothing to do with an African American man standing up for racial injustice, and this guy was kneeling, not standing up. Numerous folks, including old white men, are for, and have fought for, the rights of EVERY Ameican to peacefully protest, that doesn't mean those who disagree with the WAY he chose to do it, including old white men, old black men, young people, athletes, and women, are against his cause. Sometimes the manner in which you protest alienates those who would otherwise be behind your cause 100%.

First, let me say that I love your avatar

To your question: I feel that kneeling is a respectful gesture in general, and in CK's case, has religious bearings.

Also, kneeling isn't listed as being disrespectful to the flag in the U.S. Code. Although several things are that I see on a daily basis that I don't see people raising much fuss over.

§8. Respect for flag
No disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of America; the flag should not be dipped to any person or thing. Regimental colors, State flags, and organization or institutional flags are to be dipped as a mark of honor.

(a) The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.

(b) The flag should never touch anything beneath it, such as the ground, the floor, water, or merchandise.

(c) The flag should never be carried flat or horizontally, but always aloft and free.

(d) The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery. It should never be festooned, drawn back, nor up, in folds, but always allowed to fall free. Bunting of blue, white, and red, always arranged with the blue above, the white in the middle, and the red below, should be used for covering a speaker's desk, draping the front of the platform, and for decoration in general.

(e) The flag should never be fastened, displayed, used, or stored in such a manner as to permit it to be easily torn, soiled, or damaged in any way.

(f) The flag should never be used as a covering for a ceiling.

(g) The flag should never have placed upon it, nor on any part of it, nor attached to it any mark, insignia, letter, word, figure, design, picture, or drawing of any nature.

(h) The flag should never be used as a receptacle for receiving, holding, carrying, or delivering anything.

(i) The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard. Advertising signs should not be fastened to a staff or halyard from which the flag is flown.

(j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.

(k) The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning.
do you know why he originally did it? He did because he did not want to show pride in his country. He said that. Why do you ignore that and take the conversation elsewhere. His statement proves that standing for the anthem shows pride in the country while kneeling doesn't. Not sure how much more clear it can be.

Nike doesn't give a shit about old white men that cant stand to see an African American man stand up for racial injustice.
Here's the funny part. You're right. Guess what else they don't care about? African American men who stand up for racial injustice! You said it yourself, it's a pure money move. Cracks me up that people like yourself think they actually care about the issue when all they really care about is the MONEY!!!!

So who is the sucker? lol...................................

Here's the funny part. You're right. Guess what else they don't care about? African American men who stand up for racial injustice! You said it yourself, it's a pure money move. Cracks me up that people like yourself think they actually care about the issue when all they really care about is the MONEY!!!!

So who is the sucker? lol...................................
you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT