ADVERTISEMENT

OT 100% NOT the Official Off-Topic/Politics/Corona Thread

731 people in the state of New York died from coronavirus on Monday, the largest single-day increase in deaths yet, Governor Andrew Cuomo says.

They said deaths will lag behind dropping case numbers so this isn't unexpected
Did Cuomo lift the ban on the hydroxy drug in NY?
I heard he was blocking it.
The drug has been around since 1955 with minimum side effects WTH is going on with that??

Reactions: The Real Boss Hog
If you have a major heart condition - doctor would take that into account.
Having a rash , I would take that risk if my lungs were being shredded by the virus.
You are correct that those with heart conditions are at high risk of major side effects. The possibility of cardiac arrest was why I mentioned that the side effects aren’t always just minimal. Even so I think that unless it is being used as a last resort that more testing is needed to prove the drug’s effectiveness in treating COVID-19. Only small sample size testing without a control group has been conducted so far.

Reactions: mcbmd
You are correct that those with heart conditions are at high risk of major side effects. The possibility of cardiac arrest was why I mentioned that the side effects aren’t always just minimal. Even so I think that unless it is being used as a last resort that more testing is needed to prove the drug’s effectiveness in treating COVID-19. Only small sample size testing without a control group has been conducted so far.
I know they did a study of 4000 Lupus patients that are on the drug and zero of them had contracted the virus. Small sample size, sure, but with a weakened immune system, its a positive that none of those 4000 had gotten the bug

Reactions: Doyle55731
Updated death projections have been reduced 33% since April 1st. Now say 60,000. Still a lot, no doubt, but would be less than those killed by the flu in 2016.

Stats.
Also, we need to commend our president and his team of medical professionals for dropping the projected death toll by approximately 180,000%

Fauci this AM: "I fully expect, though I'm humble enough to know that I can't accurately predict, that by the time we get to the fall, that we will have this under control enough that it certainly will not be the way it is now where people are shutting schools."

Fauci this AM: "I fully expect, though I'm humble enough to know that I can't accurately predict, that by the time we get to the fall, that we will have this under control enough that it certainly will not be the way it is now where people are shutting schools."
There's a light at the end of the tunnel! It might be a freight train, but there is a light.

Hahaha no crap farcei

In before "only because social distancing is working"
I love that one the best because I turn on bookface and twitter and people are all caps upset at people going to Walmart. But don’t forget it will go right back up if we loosen restrictions.

I love that one the best because I turn on bookface and twitter and people are all caps upset at people going to Walmart. But don’t forget it will go right back up if we loosen restrictions.
No it won't

In before "only because social distancing is working"
It's called confirmation bias.

There's a progression:
Hysteria:
Have you seen what's happening in Italy and China? Not sure they would call it a fraud. This is NOT comparable to the flu as many out there wants to suggest. Unless you want to compare it to the flu of 1918.
Projection:
Good information to share. Ignore anything out of China at this point. Italy is the country to watch. We're about 10-12 behind them POSTED MARCH 11th in how this thing is spreading. Hopefully we can learn from their mistakes.
Belittle of the opposition:
No, we actually do know what is coming. You might not want to acknowledge it because I know you have a difficult relationship with science and the truth, but we still know this gets a lot worse before it gets better.
Insanity:
This is not fear mongering. This is not sensationalism. This is the situation. Criticize me and those that share my concerns as over reacting and hysterical, but I prefer potentially unnecessary intervention to doing nothing and watching 1.5% of 330 million people die in the United States because conspiracy theorists and people that struggle with critical thought want to be contrarians.
Blame the government:
Our governments lack of response is going to kill a lot of people. Containment is the answer.
Hypochondriac movement:
100.1 temp, aches , and lethargic is definitely not how I would like to be feeling now
Insane "model" movement:
https://covidactnow.org/

Pretty eye opening tool. Does a state-by-state breakdown of what the different scenarios look like (no action, social distancing, 3 month lockdown, etc)
Beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel:
It’s almost like... stay at home orders are working...

This thread was/still is gold.

I've seen comments on how people should hold Fox financially responsible for any miscommunication on the severity of the disease.
Should not the same thing be said about those who said 7 million people would die if we didn't manufacture 7 million ventilators:

I've seen comments on how people should hold Fox financially responsible for any miscommunication on the severity of the disease.
Should not the same thing be said about those who said 7 million people would die if we didn't manufacture 7 million ventilators:
Does arguing for more medical equipment cost lives? Or does arguing there's nothing to be concerned about cost lives? Not saying Fox should pay any price but I don't think your argument really computes

Does arguing for more medical equipment cost lives? Or does arguing there's nothing to be concerned about cost lives? Not saying Fox should pay any price but I don't think your argument really computes
You are still trumpeting the better safe than sorry method and that it does no harm to the country. You're wrong, and the intentional, yes intentional, scare tactics are just as bad in my book

Reactions: Doyle55731
It's called confirmation bias.

There's a progression:
Hysteria:
Projection:
Belittle of the opposition:
Insanity:
Blame the government:
Hypochondriac movement:
Insane "model" movement:
Beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel:

This thread was/still is gold.

Has to be Top 5 post of the year. It's been a psychiatrist's dream to watch this person become unwound throughout this and better yet, be blind to that fact.

You do realize the economic downturn over the next few months will have FAR greater effects than a virus with a death toll...clutch your pearls...synonymous with the flu?

I for one think it's beyond stupid to attempt to sue a news network for their prognostications...

But one person goes, I dont think this is that bad, I can beat it...

The other goes, "49 out of 50 people are going to die." Those 49 to 50 are associated with 7.5 million patients she said, "anyone with basic math skills, like my second grader, can understand."

So the other person says, "7.35 million peopl are going to die unless we build 7.35 million ventilators."

Sure seems like a solid case for Ford, GM, and any other company who was forced to shut down because of "experts" like this one.

I'm still not following. Is it being argued in here that the effects of aggressive social distancing are not the reason that the death projections are decreasing? I'm not really in tune to what the news networks are saying b/c I don't watch them.

You do realize the economic downturn over the next few months will have FAR greater effects than a virus with a death toll...clutch your pearls...synonymous with the flu?
I also know that the govt. is sending people money directly, giving out billions of dollars of loans to corps and small business to mitigate that

People who get their news solely from Twitter wouldn't be my target audience.
tenor.gif

I'm still not following. Is it being argued in here that the effects of aggressive social distancing are not the reason that the death projections are decreasing? I'm not really in tune to what the news networks are saying b/c I don't watch them.
"It was never going to be that bad anyways"

Reactions: cfcjr50 and mcbmd
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT