ADVERTISEMENT

Cam Newton....

Until he grasp that this is a team game and does not put himself above the team he is going to have problems. Talent will take you only so far. Johnny football also has a problem with this but his overall problem is a lot worse. Both of these athletes should of not been allowed to continue playing in college and the NCAA is a joke.

Cam has the ability to be a super star and be a great role model if he chooses to be. Not all athletes choose to be a roll model but they become one whether they like it or not. Johnny has burnt his bridge in my opinion.

I do not have any problem with Cam's celebration after a touch down as long as league allows it. He has done nothing worse that players before him.

Cam's talent will over ride a lot and teammates will follow him due to the fact he gives than a chance to win. When Cam is going to have a major crash and burn is when he is not successful all the time and how he handles it. In Super bowl he did not do anything some other first time Super bowl QBs have done on the field. Pressure is enormous and it just wasn't just him that didn't play well. One problem Cam has had all year is holding on the ball to long. He was able to get away with it in the past due to competition but not against Denver's defense.

He has won a championship at every level, Junior College and College. NFL is not forgiving and if you have a flaw they will find it. We are in for a long and controversial ride with this guy.

Reactions: 1-1-Six Hog
Lets not just make stuff up. How you raise your kids has not a single impact on my life. The bolded text is a huge exaggeration. My favorite Hog Basketball Player is white, my favorite NFL player is white, etc....guess I'm setting black culture back eh?
No, the point is that accepting or not accepting Cam Newton's behavior has nothing to do with race. It's one man's actions and how they continue to negatively impact his public image. The answer from some here has been that it's older white folk being threatened by black culture when that's just not the case. If any athlete holds themselves as Cam Newton does, I would not respect them. And yes, flipping the bird is included in that, as well as smiling and responding with a snarky answer when asked if your father sold your services to universities, theft of personal property, not selling out on a fourth quarter fumble when he could have recovered it, walking out on a postgame interview, etc. Perhaps we have different value sets, but I hold myself to a high standard when it comes to respect and look up to those who do the same.

with culture being truly abstract I'm not sure how much of if you could "see". The Curry to Newton comparison is god-awful. Curry grew up with Money and fame. Cam Newton did not. Newton has a lot more in common with most African Americans than does Steph Curry. I don't see whats is even debatable about that.

I just asked 10 African Amercan guys in my office who they would rather hang with and be themselves. Curry or Newton. All ten said Cam Newton.
I'm not comparing his personality to Curry. I'm saying he's as threatening.

I just don't get the "white people dint get Cam because they don't get black culture". Everything you said - acting right in public, being true to yourself, etc are good traits in all cultures.

What does he do that makes him so much different than white people? What is it people are threatened by?

This image is the perfect one to sum up why I don't want my children looking up to this man. The color of the men in this photograph have no bearing on how disrespectful and shameful I believe that gesture is, and it's a poor excuse to make for this man if you claim that me not wanting my children to look up to this person is bigotry (which is what's being not so subtly hinted at here - if you don't fully accept Cam, you're threatened by black culture). You can't cry ethnocentrism every time and act like it's not a cop out. At the end of the day, public figures are responsible for how the choices they make affect their image in the public eye. I shouldn't have to apologize for wanting wholesome role models for my children.

^^^^^Apparently some are threatened by pictures @mikedamone
I too think that Cam is a fun but mostly harmless guy.

Hey Cam has a ton of talent no doubt! That being said he choked pure and simple. He showed he was not ready YET. If I were a betting man I would say that he will win a championship before its all said and done, heck maybe more. Still to the point, he was way out of his depth tonight. He choked, He had several chances to make plays and did not.

Cam choked? Did Brady choke against Denver two weeks before? Denver's pass rush and defense was formidable. It did remind me of Alabama. No time to throw, nobody open, no room to run. What do you do? Actually Brady seemed to do a little better, but I would have to rewatch that game for fumbles, turnovers, special teams. Brady's pass to Bronkowski at the end of the game was masterful. Denver's pickup of Ware from the Cowboys was a stroke of genius.

^^^^^Apparently some are threatened by pictures @mikedamone
I too think that Cam is a fun but mostly harmless guy.
I guess we have completely different opinions of what is and isn't acceptable behavior in public life. I honestly am meaning no disrespect to any counterpoint ITT, but it's hard to have a discussion on this subject when you throw up a picture of Cam Newton jacking up his middle finger presumably at a crowd of people and act like people are being unreasonable when they have a problem with it.

In Cams defense, I read an article that said he could hear a Broncos CB bragging about how they got to Cam and he just had heard enough. I can understand him being in that situation with the ego he has why he walked out. Not necessarily a bad thing. He's as good an athlete that has played the game. I'll give him a pass this time. Besides, I drafted him as my QB in Fantasty Football 2 years ago and he won me our league championship. It was right at 4 grand.

Reactions: DaxC and gbbaber
Cam choked? Did Brady choke against Denver two weeks before? Denver's pass rush and defense was formidable. It did remind me of Alabama. No time to throw, nobody open, no room to run. What do you do? Actually Brady seemed to do a little better, but I would have to rewatch that game for fumbles, turnovers, special teams. Brady's pass to Bronkowski at the end of the game was masterful. Denver's pickup of Ware from the Cowboys was a stroke of genius.

Both got beat by an outstanding rush and a solid defensive plan. Peyton was lacklustre in both games IMO (and I am not saying that because of his race - he just wasn't great).

Anyone else here one of the announcers say Cam would still be (paraphrasing) an elite quarterback if he couldnt run at all?

Anyone else believe this to be preposterous?
He had a QB rating of 99.4 this year. He set the rookie record for passing yards. What do you want from the guy?

I guess we have completely different opinions of what is and isn't acceptable behavior in public life. I honestly am meaning no disrespect to any counterpoint ITT, but it's hard to have a discussion on this subject when you throw up a picture of Cam Newton jacking up his middle finger presumably at a crowd of people and act like people are being unreasonable when they have a problem with it.

All about perspective. That was in response to mikedamone when he asked what made him different from Russell Wilson or Steph Curry. That setting was at a Young Jeezy Rap concert in Atlanta. So in that setting flashing a middle finger is the norm. You'd never see Cam do that in a professional setting. I also listen to Young Jeezy and Future but also know that music/behavior is not acceptable in my work environment. Just one of the many reason I can relate to Cam. I think it's one of those moments where me and mikedamone are pretty much agreeing but disagreeing at the same time again.

There's hundreds of thousands of guys that have loved the game of football and Ive watched thousands play and NEVER seen someone act like he did last night from, say, mid 4th quarter on.

I'm not trying to argue with everything you say but dang dude, hes a drama queen.
Don't forget that Peyton Manning ran off of the field after he lost to Drew Brees in the Super Bowl without shaking his hand.

Reactions: Woodshed 1914
He had a QB rating of 99.4 this year. He set the rookie record for passing yards. What do you want from the guy?

I thought he was solid just too many drops by receivers. His fumbles were devastating as well. Credit to the defense.
Don't forget that Peyton Manning ran off of the field after he lost to Drew Brees in the Super Bowl without shaking his hand.

He was only 34. Please be more reasonable.

Reactions: 1-1-Six Hog
All about perspective. That was in response to mikedamone when he asked what made him different from Russell Wilson or Steph Curry. That setting was at a Young Jeezy Rap concert in Atlanta. So in that setting flashing a middle finger is the norm. You'd never see Cam do that in a professional setting. I also listen to Young Jeezy and Future but also know that music/behavior is not acceptable in my work environment. Just one of the many reason I can relate to Cam. I think it's one of those moments where me and mikedamone are pretty much agreeing but disagreeing at the same time again.
I hear what you're saying, but I have a problem with the gesture made in that photo in any context. You said that how I raise my kids doesn't have anything to do with you, and it doesn't, but how Cam behaves does have an effect on how I raise my kids. Photos like that make me think twice about letting my very young and impressionable son look up to a figure that is so willing to throw up an offensive gesture like that in clear view of the public eye (which is what on stage at a concert is). As many have pointed out, this man has a very big impact on the lives of many children. That's a great thing, but what is he teaching them? It's okay to flip the bird as long as you're in the right spot? It's okay to shirk on a professional obligation (coherent postgame interviews are generally viewed as such)? It's okay to not go 100% in the fourth quarter fumble situation? It's okay to show up your competition as long as you're doing it because you're having fun? I don't think any of that's okay, and I let my children know it when they see it.

For the record, I fully recognize that Cam Newton owes me nor anyone else "appropriate" behavior. However, how he behaves does matter to my family, and we are free to support him or not based on that. I refuse to apologize for that nor should I constantly be challenged as being threatened by someone's race.

Last edited:
Reactions: DirkPiggler
Cam was the best QB in the NFL this year, the best player. Outside of that, he seems phony and self-absorbed to me. When he did not jump on that live grenade last night to save his team, that was worse than anything for me. We've seen other pros show their asses in pressers, but to back out of the foxhole when it mattered most was an indicator that he is more about Cam and less about team.

He can overcome that, and I think he is a fantastic player so I hope he does.

Last edited:
When I don't like someone, it's usually because I'm threatened by them in some way. However, I can't speak to your mindset. And threatened isn't my word.
I'm 26 years old, have a smoking hot (first time pregnant) wife, help lead a youth ministry of 120 kids, have an awesome family including my in-laws!, the best friends a guy could have, and have locked down a solid, comfortable job, and am heavily favored by God. I'm not threatened by Cam Newton in the slightest, sir.

Im saying if he couldnt run he wouldnt be elite. He IS elite now. I dont have a problem saying that. But saying he'd be an elite QB if he couldnt run, no. Not in my opinion.

I'm 26 years old, have a smoking hot (first time pregnant) wife, help lead a youth ministry of 120 kids, have an awesome family including my in-laws!, the best friends a guy could have, and have locked down a solid, comfortable job, and am heavily favored by God. I'm not threatened by Cam Newton in the slightest, sir.
I have to say that I'm a bit taken aback that you're a religious guy. Not gonna derail the thread, but remove the plank my friend.

Reactions: Michael Honcho
I have to say that I'm a bit taken aback that you're a religious guy. Not gonna derail the thread, but remove the plank my friend.
Not religious in the slightest. Just love Jesus, man.

Its not wrong to call out Cam for acting like a baby in front of millions. "Christians" can have opinions and it not be sin btw.

After going back through the thread, all I did was argued my point. A bit disconbobulated on where the plank is at?
Because I didnt side with you? Am I missing something?

For the record I hate Johnny Football a lot worse then Cam Newton. What he did/didn't do in college, has no affect on how I feel about him as a pro. People have a huge issue with forgiveness. Cam is a great football player, and arguably the best QB in the league today. Problem is he didn't throw himself on that live grenade, and walked out of a press conf because he didn't want to answer the questions. Cam is a good guy who loves people and the game of football. He does some crazy things, and show boats a lot, but he is good for football.

Has Cam been busted for drugs, accused of rap/assault, or anything since he has been in the NFL? He was young and stupid at FL, but to hate him because of his dad using his son's ability to get $$ is not on Cam. Was Cam running around trying to sale himself? Did he ask the coach to buy his dad a new tractor, or his mom and new house?

Bottom line is the MEDIA wants to make this a RACE ISSUE!!! I read a comment on FB today. He deleted it or I would copy and paste it. His argument was without Black Athletes there wouldn't be a NBA or NFL. I called BS, but he didn't want to hear it. COLOR has nothing to do with it. Look at Golf, Baseball, Nascar, Hockey, Soccer, all of those sports have thrived for 100's of years. I asked him to next time he is watching a NBA or NFL game on TV to span the crowd and see what 99% of the color is at the game.

When I don't like someone, it's usually because I'm threatened by them in some way. However, I can't speak to your mindset. And threatened isn't my word.

hahahahahahaha you are usually threatened by people you don't like? sounds like a load of bullship to me.
Cam is a POS , always was and always will be. I however am in noway "threatened" by that poor excuse for a?.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT