ADVERTISEMENT

Cam Newton....

I admit he is a freak athlete who will probably have a great NFL career. However, he will always be "Scam" Newton to me - he/his dad/dad's church was paid $200,000 for him to play for Auburn after Miss. State turned down $180,000 for his services. NCAA held a fake investigation and found nothing... that year he was the reason Auburn beat the Hogs in a shootout with two terrible fumble calls against the Hogs which kept them out of the SEC championship game. Don't like him for that reason plus he is spoiled and entitled which he proved again after the game. Because of his athletic ability he is already saying he will be the greatest NFL QB of all time - he may be some day but way too early for him to be making those statements. A good dose of humility is exactly what the doctor ordered.

Reactions: VBHOG and Paul Loyd
The dance he does when he scores is just an addition to why he is disliked so much by so many. My negative feelings for him go back to his actions during his college days and the way we were cheated out of a victory at Auburn while he was there. Yeah, I know those bad calls by the officials weren't his fault, but so what? He was their QB when it went down and he's still a jerk.

He also was 36 years old.

Look at Peyton in any interview all the way back to his time in high school and I bet it was more mature than what this NFL MVP can muster. Pick some early in his NFL career and I bet there is a marked difference.

Reactions: 1-1-Six Hog
How does race end up in everything? Lort.
#alllivesmatter
Because it is about race. Cam said it wasn't about black quarterbacks. But he did say it was about something much, much bigger. And, I applaud him and admire him for that.

We love the guy that praises God and says yes sir. He fits our mold and is just grateful to be in the league, grateful to be given a chance.

Cam sees things differently. He has a unique opportunity to use his God-given ability to change how we see people. Cam and I come from different worlds - and at first glance we have absolutely nothing in common. But, the more I watch this young man, the more I listen to him, the more I speak to people who are in his community, I realize that we have a TON in common. And, that makes me realize that I have to get beyond cultural barriers and realize that people are people.

Back to your question - and it's just my opinion. I think everything Cam does and will do is conscientiously about race. He has put that burden on his back and is uniquely American in how he is doing it. He is subtly drawing complex issues to the forefront and driving discussion. And he is doing it with class and dignity. I think we are watching a really really interesting kid become a man. It's what I love about America.

He isn't perfect and makes mistakes but we all do. I wouldn't want the harsh spotlight on me today and certainly not on my past. I would look worse than Cam and suspect many (if not most of us) would too.

Go Cam!

Cam deserves ridicule for leaving that conference early last night. Otherwise he is doing what he is supposed to do, marketing himself. You guys dogging on him, what charity work have you done? Who cares if he does it for the public eye or not it still means a lot to the fans especially the kids when he hands them footballs. I've had a passion for something like he does football and it absolutely hurts to lose. I've been there. I get it.

So, he's a great guy because he does charity work? That doesn't make you a great person. I applaud him for doing it and those are good things. I actually don't think he's a bad person but doesn't mean I have to like the guy because he's a good person. I don't like the way he acts and the way he celebrates after scores or good plays and then turns around and acts like a baby when things don't go his way. So, I just don't understand bringing his charity work into the discussion when those are not the things people are saying they don't like about him.

There are guys who constantly break the law, ignore their kids and family, are disrespectful to everyone they meet, yet Cam catches all this shit. You guys act like every 26 year old would handle a loss like that perfectly. I don't get the hate. It seems like there is something I'm missing.

Here we go again with giving people a break and an excuse because of their age. First it was because they are 18 and 19 yrs old they shouldn't be held responsible, now it's 26. I think I'm starting to figure out that you guys use whatever age you need to use in order to have an excuse for your side of the argument.

The dance he does when he scores is just an addition to why he is disliked so much by so many. My negative feelings for him go back to his actions during his college days and the way we were cheated out of a victory at Auburn while he was there. Yeah, I know those bad calls by the officials weren't his fault, but so what? He was their QB when it went down and he's still a jerk.

He shouldn't have even been eligible for that game.

Because it is about race. Cam said it wasn't about black quarterbacks. But he did say it was about something much, much bigger. And, I applaud him and admire him for that.

We love the guy that praises God and says yes sir. He fits our mold and is just grateful to be in the league, grateful to be given a chance.

Cam sees things differently. He has a unique opportunity to use his God-given ability to change how we see people. Cam and I come from different worlds - and at first glance we have absolutely nothing in common. But, the more I watch this young man, the more I listen to him, the more I speak to people who are in his community, I realize that we have a TON in common. And, that makes me realize that I have to get beyond cultural barriers and realize that people are people.

Back to your question - and it's just my opinion. I think everything Cam does and will do is conscientiously about race. He has put that burden on his back and is uniquely American in how he is doing it. He is subtly drawing complex issues to the forefront and driving discussion. And he is doing it with class and dignity. I think we are watching a really really interesting kid become a man. It's what I love about America.

He isn't perfect and makes mistakes but we all do. I wouldn't want the harsh spotlight on me today and certainly not on my past. I would look worse than Cam and suspect many (if not most of us) would too.

Go Cam!
I have to say that I think you're giving this man a little too much credit. Arrogance is something that is not unique to any ethnicity or culture, and that's why Bryce Harper is reviled by as many as Cam. Humility is a virtue that should and is celebrated in many families. I should be able to expect that from a professional athlete without being accused in no uncertain terms of bigotry. However, I respect that he has the right to behave however he (and his employer) see fit, but I also reserve the right to dislike him and the way he carries himself.

What parts of "black culture" does Cam represent? I keep hearing that, but have no idea what that means. Outside of his skin color, how does he act culturally different than white QBs?

Lets just tell it like it is, just the facts. He got his ass soundly kicked, and he didn't like it. He walked out, showed nothing other than who he is. End of subject. You all can spin it any way you like.

Here we go again with giving people a break and an excuse because of their age. First it was because they are 18 and 19 yrs old they shouldn't be held responsible, now it's 26. I think I'm starting to figure out that you guys use whatever age you need to use in order to have an excuse for your side of the argument.
Ok, I think it's fair to say that. I was pretty immature at 26, everyone is a little different. I just don't get the amount of vitriol.

Reactions: Coward88
He walked out of the interview. He didnt bad mouth anyone. He didnt cuss a reporter, player or coach. He was simply upset and a somewhat rude. People need to get over themselves. Everyone is allowed to have a bad day. Did he look like an idiot? Yes, does that make him a bad person or the like? No.

What parts of "black culture" does Cam represent? I keep hearing that, but have no idea what that means. Outside of his skin color, how does he act culturally different than white QBs?
There are people who study this kind of thing, but black culture tends to embrace more individualism and brashness, whereas as we whities prefer sir and maam, hushed tones, under-statedness etc..., particularly in our leaders. Cam (and Beyoncé) embrace their blackness, and I for one appreciate it.

Lets just tell it like it is, just the facts. He got his ass soundly kicked, and he didn't like it. He walked out, showed nothing other than who he is. End of subject. You all can spin it any way you like.

I really don't have much of a problem with how he acted in post-game. It was delicious, though.

I just think he's a giant douchebag that was paid to play for AU, and essentially kept us out of Atlanta in 2010. For Gus and Cheezedick.

He's obviously an incredible talent, but I'm not ever going to like him.

I read that he owns part of the Budweiser distributer in New Orleans. If that's true, brilliant!

I like to think that there was no motive on his part, and he really did go home and drink a shit ton of Bud Heavy. Fairy Tale ending IMO

Reactions: HogTime
There are people who study this kind of thing, but black culture tends to embrace more individualism and brashness, whereas as we whities prefer sir and maam, hushed tones, under-statedness etc..., particularly in our leaders. Cam (and Beyoncé) embrace their blackness, and I for one appreciate it.
Speaking as someone who grew up in a diverse neighborhood in Central Arkansas, I have directly observed more African American families that appreciate humility and respect than anything else. We will have to agree to disagree on this point.

I just think our nature is revealed when things are tough or don't go our way irrespective of skin color. He was on the biggest stage in his profession and hurt his image. No one expected him to enjoy losing a game that nearly everyone said they would win running away. Be a true leader and own the moment. It isn't about race, it is about being a leader.

Speaking as someone who grew up in a diverse neighborhood in Central Arkansas, I have directly observed more African American families that appreciate humility and respect than anything else. We will have to agree to disagree on this point.
This is exactly what I'm trying to avoid. Mike asked for a definition of black culture...the idea that all black people behave that way is perverse. But that's the black culture that Cam is championing, and that's simply the answer to the question. Of course all black people don't live by that, because no two people are alike. Attempting to define an entire culture in anything less than an epic manuscript is always going to leave a mess.

Outside of a touchdown celebration, he seems incredibly vanilla(pun intended) to me. There is absolutely nothing threatening about the guy to old white people. He's clean cut. Great looking. No tats. Speaks "white". The guy is into freaking comic book characters.

This whole white people are threatened by him angle just doesn't make any sense to me. Outside of his immaturity at times(which is not cultural), he's no different than Russell Wilson or Steph Curry.

Outside of a touchdown celebration, he seems incredibly vanilla(pun intended) to me. There is absolutely nothing threatening about the guy to old white people. He's clean cut. Great looking. No tats. Speaks "white". The guy is into freaking comic book characters.

This whole white people are threatened by him angle just doesn't make any sense to me. Outside of his immaturity at times(which is not cultural), he's no different than Russell Wilson or Steph Curry.
Yeah, I really don't know much about that. I just know that people hate him and generally point to his outlandish actions as reason. I don't necessarily buy the race thing, but obviously that is a factor for some people, especially around here....but certainly I don't think his being black is a main factor in why people dislike him. I genuinely don't understand why people feel the way they do about him, even after this thread.

I just think our nature is revealed when things are tough or don't go our way irrespective of skin color. He was on the biggest stage in his profession and hurt his image. No one expected him to enjoy losing a game that nearly everyone said they would win running away. Be a true leader and own the moment. It isn't about race, it is about being a leader.

I guess you have never been a part of a business that wins and looses contracts, which are the basis of income. I am no saint, so when we drop a deal we have been working on for 6 months, I practically set a new record for curse words in a 24 hr period. I dont think this makes me a bad person. I come home later after cooling off and give it to my wife, come back the next day ready to own whatever I am doing. Its human nature to slip up, on a big stage or not.

Im not religious, but this is the perfect example of "cast the first stone". Seriously, people are way too worked up over this. He will do more for charities in a single day than all of rivals put together in a year. More than makes up for a fit on TV if you ask me. People just want reason to hate success, a black guy, rival team, etc...

Reactions: gbbaber and DaxC
Manning does everything right. I think he deserves some Budweiser.

giphy.gif

Reactions: gbbaber
I can't tell you but sitting with a group of 13 year olds last night watching the game, they know! Music, attitude, slang, dance, dress, confidence, views of traditional authority, desire to create a new path forward.

In fairness, I would say that the Millennials are different than we (me). I was in a meeting reviewing product research and they were explaining the subgroups of Gen Y and underlying social norm/moray changes. I could write those same things for Hipsters and I don't pretend to really understand that either.

Cam is the consummate African American. Knows how to act in public but he is who he is. I'll share a few of his shining moments and leave out those which are not appropriate for this board. He's far from a Russell Wilson. Actually the opposite:

464896082-young-jeezy-and-cam-newton-attend-at-label-gettyimages.jpg

tumblr_nyixgjGFBM1szqimao1_1280.jpg

images

images

Cam Newton represents everything about AA culture.

Ok, I think it's fair to say that. I was pretty immature at 26, everyone is a little different. I just don't get the amount of vitriol.

I don't hate the guy but I do dislike the way he acts and carries himself in public. I'm sure he's much different in private. I also don't like the way he acts when things don't go well for him. Everyone could use some humility in their life. He just has no way of showing it with grace. The way he flops around on the field after his defense made a bad play at the end of the game and when he didn't get the call he thought he deserved when he got hit in the endzone at the end all the way to the press conference where he got up and walked out. He should have listened to his coaches interview outside the locker room if he wants to know how to act after defeat. Again, I bet the guy is actually an ok dude. Just not someone I respect and like based on what he shows to the public.

I don't hate the guy but I do dislike the way he acts and carries himself in public. I'm sure he's much different in private. I also don't like the way he acts when things don't go well for him. Everyone could use some humility in their life. He just has no way of showing it with grace. The way he flops around on the field after his defense made a bad play at the end of the game and when he didn't get the call he thought he deserved when he got hit in the endzone at the end all the way to the press conference where he got up and walked out. He should have listened to his coaches interview outside the locker room if he wants to know how to act after defeat. Again, I bet the guy is actually an ok dude. Just not someone I respect and like based on what he shows to the public.
I just think that we see a guy throw himself down, and you don't like it and I call it passion. I love the way he plays with his heart on his sleeve.

Reactions: Coward88
I just think that we see a guy throw himself down, and you don't like it and I call it passion. I love the way he plays with his heart on his sleeve.
There's hundreds of thousands of guys that have loved the game of football and Ive watched thousands play and NEVER seen someone act like he did last night from, say, mid 4th quarter on.

I'm not trying to argue with everything you say but dang dude, hes a drama queen.

I love Cam the player. And he seems like good dude off the field.

But he played into all his haters hands last night. He's obviously very concerned about his image. Nothing wrong with that. That's how guys who are the faces of the league are. Jordan, Manning, Jeter, etc.

He could've done more for his image by being a graceful loser last night that anything else. Couldve really impressed some people.

And before anyone says his haters will just always hate him, that's not true. He's already turned many who used to hate him into fans. Couldve done it more last night.

Instead he acted just the way many thought he would. Being a great winner, but a sore loser.

Missed opportunity. Suck it up for a few minutes and go sulk for a few days in private.
I haven't found any comments in the press from Cam after he walked off the stage last night.

I had to go look under PUNK.COM

Cam is the consummate African American. Knows how to act in public but he is who he is. I'll share a few of his shining moments and leave out those which are not appropriate for this board. He's far from a Russell Wilson. Actually the opposite:

tumblr_nyixgjGFBM1szqimao1_1280.jpg

images

images

to me, this looks more like celebrity culture than AA culture. to mikes point, I've not seen any clear outline of what AA culture actually is.

to me, this looks more like celebrity culture than AA culture. to mikes point, I've not seen any clear outline of what AA culture actually is.
Exactly. He's just a famous dude who dresses like a white chick half the time. There's nothing threatening about the guy.

Exactly. He's just a famous dude who dresses like a white chick half the time. There's nothing threatening about the guy.
To you there isn't anything threatening in that, but then again you're not the ones with your jimmies rustled to the max like half this thread and apparently half of America.

This image is the perfect one to sum up why I don't want my children looking up to this man. The color of the men in this photograph have no bearing on how disrespectful and shameful I believe that gesture is, and it's a poor excuse to make for this man if you claim that me not wanting my children to look up to this person is bigotry (which is what's being not so subtly hinted at here - if you don't fully accept Cam, you're threatened by black culture). You can't cry ethnocentrism every time and act like it's not a cop out. At the end of the day, public figures are responsible for how the choices they make affect their image in the public eye. I shouldn't have to apologize for wanting wholesome role models for my children.

Reactions: Paul Loyd

with culture being truly abstract I'm not sure how much of if you could "see". The Curry to Newton comparison is god-awful. Curry grew up with Money and fame. Cam Newton did not. Newton has a lot more in common with most African Americans than does Steph Curry. I don't see whats is even debatable about that.

I just asked 10 African Amercan guys in my office who they would rather hang with and be themselves. Curry or Newton. All ten said Cam Newton.

This image is the perfect one to sum up why I don't want my children looking up to this man. The color of the men in this photograph have no bearing on how disrespectful and shameful I believe that gesture is, and it's a poor excuse to make for this man if you claim that me not wanting my children to look up to this person is bigotry (which is what's being not so subtly hinted at here - if you don't fully accept Cam, you're threatened by black culture). You can't cry ethnocentrism every time and act like it's not a cop out. At the end of the day, public figures are responsible for how the choices they make affect their image in the public eye. I shouldn't have to apologize for wanting wholesome role models for my children.
Mahatma Gandhi said "Don't put down what you don't understand".

Or, maybe it was Hank Williams Jr.

Good words to live by.

I think Steven A on ESPN had a great take on Cam and how he needs to just grow up. I hate saying that because I'm not a big fan of Steven A but sometimes the guy does captivate me a little.

Reactions: ccfarmer2

Lets not just make stuff up. How you raise your kids has not a single impact on my life. The bolded text is a huge exaggeration. My favorite Hog Basketball Player is white, my favorite NFL player is white, etc....guess I'm setting black culture back eh?

Reactions: BobbyPorkis
I don't see why people are surprised by how he handled himself. He's never won with class. So, why would anyone expect him to lose with class?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT