ADVERTISEMENT

Cam Newton....

You win with class and you lose with class.I think Mr. Newton has improved attitude wise,but he still has a way to go.

Cam Newton is a great football player. One of the best in the league. However he showed his butt last night. The temper tantrum after he got smoked in the endzone, leaving the press conf, not trying to recover the fumble, means he is all about himself. Even Manning was trying to get the ball back when he fumbled. Manning saved a TD on his INT by slowing down the defender. Cam is good for football when he is winning games. Hopefully this will bring him back to Earth. He lost me when he said "After this game they will never forget this Black MVP"..

What you don't seem to understand is this has nothing to do with Cam the person. The counterpoint I was trying to make with the photos is that his personal life and professional life are independent of one another. This is about how this man who you're anointing as the new face of the league is carrying himself professionally. As another poster mentioned, kids are clinging to this guy because of his superb play on the field (as they should), but it's scary that they're also emulating his attitude. As a father of two, I wouldn't want my son or daughter to react this way to a loss in their professional life; I would want them to carry themselves with class and humility. Some children don't have the wherewithal or the support system to tell the difference between a good example and a horrible one, which is what Cam was last night. That's my problem with him right now.
Right, and I'm glad you're instilling that stuff in your kids. I am actually working really hard with my 6 year old daughter about how to take a loss...she literally doesn't want to compete if she doesn't KNOW she will win. So I completely understand where you are coming from. But I don't think she watched the press conference, and I would love for her to learn to compete with a big grin on her face like Cam does. To me, there is more to like about him than not like.

This is a little different, but I was talking to my wife this morning about bullying. The news mentioned a kid killing himself because a girl bullied him unmercifully, and of course her defense is that she herself is bullied (this has become the common defense). People say that back in the day nobody worried about bullies, but that's because back in the day parents raised their kids to treat others with respect and to behave with humility, not to try to win every possible moment and to always try to prove you are smarter and better than teh kids around you. Parents these days generally suck, is the point, so I think it's awesome that a lot of this is about you wanting your kids to behave the right way.

So Marino cheating on his wife repeatedly with his mistress repeatedly and eventually having a kid with her is no big deal to you but yet a guy walking out of a conference after the toughest loss of his career is?
Not saying that at all.

Im saying deflect deflect deflect. Deflectgate ITT. No one cares about marino besides you I guess.

images
ytorh.jpg

Right, and I'm glad you're instilling that stuff in your kids. I am actually working really hard with my 6 year old daughter about how to take a loss...she literally doesn't want to compete if she doesn't KNOW she will win. So I completely understand where you are coming from. But I don't think she watched the press conference, and I would love for her to learn to compete with a big grin on her face like Cam does. To me, there is more to like about him than not like.

This is a little different, but I was talking to my wife this morning about bullying. The news mentioned a kid killing himself because a girl bullied him unmercifully, and of course her defense is that she herself is bullied (this has become the common defense). People say that back in the day nobody worried about bullies, but that's because back in the day parents raised their kids to treat others with respect and to behave with humility, not to try to win every possible moment and to always try to prove you are smarter and better than teh kids around you. Parents these days generally suck, is the point, so I think it's awesome that a lot of this is about you wanting your kids to behave the right way.
I agree with you, especially about wanting your child to have fun and still be competitive. A lot of this for me is being disappointed in him for not doing better, saying and doing a lot of the wrong things when he's in this position that he's in. I know that my children are watching him, and I want good role models for them. I really don't hate Cam, and I'm sure a lot of those who feel the same way I do are being shuffled up in the vitriol of people who might hate him for the wrong reasons.

For the record, I will agree that not many people spoke up against him before he was winning fifteen games a year.

Don't think you can compare Cam to Manziel. One is a leader who has led his team to National Championship and Super Bowl and whom by all accounts, teammates respect. The other is a fantastic athlete who the players hate.

Watch the video. Is he upset? Clearly. He answers the questions. Then there are stupid questions. We say it's not white / black. Really? If he work a coat and tie, would that have made it better?

How different is Cam's video than this?

Look at Peyton Manning's post game comments from Superbowl 48 and that is a relevant comparison. They were embarrassed in that game and he didn't pout, deflect, or act like a petulant child. He answered the questions and was honest about it.

Reactions: 1-1-Six Hog
Look at Peyton Manning's post game comments from Superbowl 48 and that is a relevant comparison. They were embarrassed in that game and he didn't pout, deflect, or act like a petulant child. He answered the questions and was honest about it.
He also was 36 years old.

Im not against Cam because of how he celebrates. I'm against him because of the character he shows when things don't go well.

Theft to 180thou to storming out of press conference. Hes an immature brat and the worst kind of competitor.

Look at Peyton Manning's post game comments from Superbowl 48 and that is a relevant comparison. They were embarrassed in that game and he didn't pout, deflect, or act like a petulant i child. He answered the questions and was honest about it.

Yup. I agree with you and think Cam could learn a lot from Peyton - and probably will. But, I do think he is held to a different standard by a lot of people.

Yup. I agree with you and think Cam could learn a lot from Peyton - and probably will. But, I do think he is held to a different standard by a lot of people.
If he's compared to Peyton Manning, maybe. But Russell Wilson is a far more apt comparison in age and expectations, and he handled a similar situation infinitely better.

Everybody hated him at Auburn. Why all the love now?

To hell with Cam and his daddy.

He also was 36 years old.
So with this logic, a 46 year old would handle it better than Manning, amirite? Am I doing this right?

Would love to see an 86 year old do the presser. That'd be some wise, wise comments from him.

Russell Wilson seems like a great guy. There are a lot of Richmond people in my area and they say he is exactly what he says he is. Not a fake bone in his body. I like him a lot personally.

Cam isn't Russell and I suspect he never was, is, or will be. And more important, he will never and should never apologize for that.

My point is this: haters are killing Cam right now for something that isn't that big of a deal. It's because they are threatened by what he represents. You think he subconsciously knew what he was doing wearing that hoodie last night? I do. You might disagree and that's ok too. I think Cam (and Beyoncé) are redefining leadership in the black community and I think it's great. Uncomfortable but great.

Reactions: gbbaber
Russell Wilson seems like a great guy. There are a lot of Richmond people in my area and they say he is exactly what he says he is. Not a fake bone in his body. I like him a lot personally.

Cam isn't Russell and I suspect he never was, is, or will be. And more important, he will never and should never apologize for that.

My point is this: haters are killing Cam right now for something that isn't that big of a deal. It's because they are threatened by what he represents. You think he subconsciously knew what he was doing wearing that hoodie last night? I do. You might disagree and that's ok too. I think Cam (and Beyoncé) are redefining leadership in the black community and I think it's great. Uncomfortable but great.
How does race end up in everything? Lort.
#alllivesmatter

Please explain why you consider him one of the sorest losers in the sport?
Did you just start watching football this year?

His first years in the NFL he was scrutinized heavily for being a sore loser and pouting all the time after his struggles.

So with this logic, a 46 year old would handle it better than Manning, amirite? Am I doing this right?

Would love to see an 86 year old do the presser. That'd be some wise, wise comments from him.
Yeah, there isn't any point in this. You hate the guy because of what are probably your own personal shortcomings. I don't hate any athletes that I can think of off the top of my head. Cam was my most hated athlete for a couple of years...but you and I are obviously much different. I think it's pathetic to hate a superstar...just seems small to me. But carry on, you obviously were just as mature at 26 as you were at 36. I'm sure you have led a great life and handled every press conference you've ever had perfectly.

How does race end up in everything? Lort.
#alllivesmatter
Because people like you dislike the successful people that embrace black culture? I donno. Russell Wilson is my hero! He acts just like my boss!

Did you just start watching football this year?

His first years in the NFL he was scrutinized heavily for being a sore loser and pouting all the time after his struggles.
How many points is a touchdown?

So bc he pouts when he loses that makes him the sorest loser in the NFL.

I love Cam the player. And he seems like good dude off the field.

But he played into all his haters hands last night. He's obviously very concerned about his image. Nothing wrong with that. That's how guys who are the faces of the league are. Jordan, Manning, Jeter, etc.

He could've done more for his image by being a graceful loser last night that anything else. Couldve really impressed some people.

And before anyone says his haters will just always hate him, that's not true. He's already turned many who used to hate him into fans. Couldve done it more last night.

Instead he acted just the way many thought he would. Being a great winner, but a sore loser.

Missed opportunity. Suck it up for a few minutes and go sulk for a few days in private.
This, This, This!

I thought that if I had the op to weigh in that this is the direction I'd go.

Cam is probably right about me. I'm 60 years old and I've got images, and stereotypes, and bias, and prejudices, that likely I haven't
been able to completely set aside....I try, I honestly try. I want to take my last breath secure in the knowledge that either I judged not lest
I be judged, or at least judged by the content of the character rather than the color of the skin.......I want to be that man.....

I rooted for the Broncs. I rooted for Manning. I rooted for Von Miller and DeMarcus Ware....

I rooted against Cam. I think he was the league MVP and had a wonderful year, but I don't like him. Don't like Manziel either for most of the
same reasons but I'm not gonna derail my main train.

I didn't like him at Aubbie, and haven't like him since he joined the Panthers. He irked me. His success this year didn't have me
up in arms in angst. The yanking down of the Packer posters and such just firmed in my mind that he was a overpaid jerk pro
and hated he beat my Cowboys and that was about it by and large.

The things I don't like about Cam would probably substantiate many of his feelings about me. I've got predetermined ideas of what is
acceptable and unacceptable behaviors as professionals and likely many of them are rooted in historical bias and prejudices that I can't
let go of.

I love exuberance and elation and joy and happiness and celebration that goes with winning, and scoring, and stopping, and big plays!
BUT, I've got my own ideas of what is right and wrong, good and bad, over the top and bad taste, etc.
Some probably has origins in racial bias, but many don't.

REGARDLESS, I could have, and many of his haters and detractors, could have, gained much respect, grudgingly given kudos, saluted, 2 thumbs upped,etc if he had come in with his shoulders squared and given due last night.

I know the pain of the big game loss, I know the harsh lights and intense sense of defeat and despair and despising the moment, but DAMN, pros
gotta do it, gotta tough it out.

I wasn't expecting or demanding humble pie, Uncle Samming, in my place crap.....I'm.... not.... that..... guy.

I wanting to give him props, I wanted him to show me that he was who they had built up all week.....the matured, the team leader, the professional.

MikeDamone reads me like a open book...."Cam, dammit son, I gave you a chance to show me something that I could use to see you
differently....I wanted to.........and I got nothing ....nothing for me.....nothing for you".

Mike, you are right. It sucks.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT