ADVERTISEMENT

Cam Newton....

The biggest "look at me guy" in the history of the NFL (Deion Sanders) was disappointed too:

"You are the face of our brand right now."

"You can't do that. I understand the emotions of losing. You can't do that. A Manning, a Brady, all of those guys who have been prototypical [guys] would never do that."

"You can't be dabbin', smiling, styling and profiling when you win, so this is how you go out when you lose?"

Have you ever been to Indianapolis? Manning donated an estimated $50 million for the children's hospital named after him. I'll say that prior to last night, I liked cam more as a pro than in college. But to say that he does more off the field than anyone is foolish.
defender-direct-peyton-manning-childrens-hospital1059-1-638.jpg
Give cam another 12 years. I promise he'll be right there. Nobody has ever gotten into the giving game as early and as heavy as cam. Peyton has made sooo much money over the past ten years...but definitely good for him for doing that.

Give cam another 12 years. I promise he'll be right there. Nobody has ever gotten into the giving game as early and as heavy as cam. Peyton has made sooo much money over the past ten years...but definitely good for him for doing that.
You have no data to back that up. It's a great thing that he does give back, but again, he's a horrible role model for children. He proved that last night.

I have no problem with the celebration stuff. It's not making it about you like it used to be its just having fun and getting excited about what happened. Playing the game they love.

But his true character shows in defeat. It's easy to be fun and likeable when your winning but he acts like a 4yo when he is losing. I don't think anybody is surprised.

You have no data to back that up. It's a great thing that he does give back, but again, he's a horrible role model for children. He proved that last night.
There are guys who constantly break the law, ignore their kids and family, are disrespectful to everyone they meet, yet Cam catches all this shit. You guys act like every 26 year old would handle a loss like that perfectly. I don't get the hate. It seems like there is something I'm missing.

Cam should be commended for his charitable giving, and I get that he plays the game with a lot of emotion. That said, I think the criticism he's receiving for the press conference is fair. He showed a lack of maturity and poor sportsmanship. I suspect that Cam is one that pays attention to the media and cares about his public persona so hopefully he learns from this.

He needs to take a lesson in losing from one of the greatest winners of all time: Jack Nicklaus.

There are guys who constantly break the law, ignore their kids and family, are disrespectful to everyone they meet, yet Cam catches all this shit. You guys act like every 26 year old would handle a loss like that perfectly. I don't get the hate. It seems like there is something I'm missing.
I don't hate Cam Newton. I don't respect Cam Newton. If you want to talk about other guys in the NFL who don't deserve any respect, I'd probably join in on those threads. This one is titled "Cam Newton" so that's who I'm here to discuss.

It is exactly what Deion said. He acts one way when he is winning and acts another way when he is losing. He played the race card that people don't like him because he is black. People don't like him because he is a fake fvck and it showed last night. I don't like Manziel either. It has nothing to do with him being white, it is because he is a douchebag. Cam reminds me a lot of Jon "Bones" Jones. He has a fake persona that he plays in public.

Veteran wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery is impressed by Newton's touch. "He's incredible with that, he's completely incredible," Cotchery said. "Really he's a superstar, but the way he interacts with fans and kids is just an unbelievable deal. Some people are burdened by that, but he interacts with fans and children and it's cool to see."
th

"You give credit to his parents for making him aware of that, but it's just him," Cotchery said. "From the outside looking in, people want to know if it's genuine or not everything that he's doing. It is; it's him smiling all the time, it's him interacting with everyone all the time, celebrating with his teammates. Yeah, he celebrates on his own sometimes, but when he comes back he's always encouraging his teammates. It's a good thing to be around."
th

Suzanne Evans, the senior administrative secretary at Metro School, works with children who are developmentally disabled. Some of them can't communicate verbally, so it isn't often that there are big-name visitors. A week before Christmas, Newton arrived in his red sweater and walked into a gym filled with kids, greeting each child, even the ones who couldn't respond. It can be challenging for visitors, Evans said, because it's hard to know how much some of the kids are taking in, much less providing a response, but that didn't stop Newton.
i

"He took pictures and selfies, he was willing to do anything," she said. Evans was moved but was even more impressed that this wasn't Newton's first visit. "I am not a Panthers fan, but I'm a huge Cam Newton fan," Evans said. "The things he does in the community here -- it's all with kids."

What a terrible guy. Terribly role model, selfish. He should take lessons from the Hawgsports knuckledraggers. They'll show him! You guys are clowns.

Like I said, the criticism over the press conference is well-earned, and I guarantee you that he is very much regretting his actions, but to bash him on any other level is simply ignorant.

Reactions: eqthomas325
Don't think you can compare Cam to Manziel. One is a leader who has led his team to National Championship and Super Bowl and whom by all accounts, teammates respect. The other is a fantastic athlete who the players hate.

Watch the video. Is he upset? Clearly. He answers the questions. Then there are stupid questions. We say it's not white / black. Really? If he work a coat and tie, would that have made it better?

How different is Cam's video than this?

It is exactly what Deion said. He acts one way when he is winning and acts another way when he is losing. He played the race card that people don't like him because he is black. People don't like him because he is a fake fvck and it showed last night. I don't like Manziel either. It has nothing to do with him being white, it is because he is a douchebag. Cam reminds me a lot of Jon "Bones" Jones. He has a fake persona that he plays in public.
First of all, just about everyone who dislikes cam dislikes deion, so it's fun to watch everyone fall all over themselves to use Sanders's quotes. I'm white and absolutely think that people don't like Cam because he's black. Of course everyone isn't that way, but that is absolutely part of all of this. Again, he handled the presser poorly, but is that why everyone hates him like this? Or is it because he is hugely successful and poised to be the best QB in the league for a long time? I don't know.. I was never a huge fan of Cam until he became such a polar figure. I just think he's great for the sport. I can't remember a superstar doing so much good for kids.

Reactions: plezjr23
You guys bashing Cam are just pathetic. No one bashed Marino when he cheated on his wife and had a kid with a reporter a few year ago did they? That's a HUGE no-no, but you guys don't care about that. Immature? What about another all-time great Elway getting drafted #1 and being a dick and not playing until he got traded? Imagine if Cam did that! You guys need to grow up, it's pathetic.

Last edited:
The fact is that he didnt handle it at all. Period.

"Guys who break the law, ignore their families, etc" is an abstract number first of all but lets say thats 5% of NFL players. Since were in hypothetical land, I would bet 95% of the NFL players 26 years and under would handle the presser better than that.

He's in the top 3-5 in the league for talking head, positively or negatively (Sherman). When he doesn't back it up in any way on the big stage, cant go for a fumble at his feet, and cant handle a presser, he deserves all the "shit" he gets.

Mr. Razorback is just doing his thing: sees a topic and "passionately" takes a contrarian view. Either he is the poster child for trolling OR he lets other people use his account because his takes on things are all over the place.

Bottom line: do the dab when you win, throw a fit when you lose...pretty much the thing a lot of athletes learn by age 12...don't dish it out if you can't take it. Because with it comes the responsibility of the impending criticisms.

First of all, just about everyone who dislikes cam dislikes deion, so it's fun to watch everyone fall all over themselves to use Sanders's quotes. I'm white and absolutely think that people don't like Cam because he's black. Of course everyone isn't that way, but that is absolutely part of all of this. Again, he handled the presser poorly, but is that why everyone hates him like this? Or is it because he is hugely successful and poised to be the best QB in the league for a long time? I don't know.. I was never a huge fan of Cam until he became such a polar figure. I just think he's great for the sport. I can't remember a superstar doing so much good for kids.
This is a good post.

I would make a slight change. I don't think people dislike Cam because he is black. I think they dislike Cam because he embraces black culture and pride. It makes us uncomfortable because it's progress.

Cam is a great athlete. By all accounts, a man of deep faith. A man who -- for the cameras or not -- is deeply engaged in his community and focused on children and people of need. He is smart, well spoken, and poised. He is uber confident. He looks like a movie star. And, he is extremely well dressed. This is a role model and a good one.

He is also young and growing up. He didn't handle things perfectly last night and needs to learn to lose.

But this is a guy who is leading a new way of thinking about race and you can't avoid that. I listened to six 13 year old 7th graders watch the game last night. It's a different conversation today and Cam is one of the leaders of that progress.

Reactions: eqthomas325
You guys bashing Cam are just pathetic. No one bashed Marino when he had a kid with a reporter a few year ago did they? That's a HUGE no-no, but you guys don't care about that. Immature? What about another all-time great Elway getting drafted #1 and being a dick and not playing until he got traded? Imagine if Cam did that! You guys need to grow up, it's pathetic.
Marino and Elway arent part of this thread, firstly.

Secondly, they're no longer polzarizing figures, dont talk crap on the field, the media, or make a name for themselves by showing off. That puts them in a whole nother category.

Apples and potatoes in this post. Marino having a kid, lol, what an idiot.

For the record, he could be maroon, gold, or translucent, I still wouldnt like him. I dont give a frick if hes black. If youre black youre black. Not a thing to me.

Haha, @Turbo Buffalo I have a feeling this goes a little deeper than you are admitting. How did you feel about Eli Manning refusing to play for San Diego? John Elway? Like Mr Razorback said, Marino impregnating the reporter? This is all good, no? Your pictures are a perfect example...in a league filled with bad guys, youve decided to "not respect" one of the best ambassadors the game has seen.

Congratulations.

I love Cam the player. And he seems like good dude off the field.

But he played into all his haters hands last night. He's obviously very concerned about his image. Nothing wrong with that. That's how guys who are the faces of the league are. Jordan, Manning, Jeter, etc.

He could've done more for his image by being a graceful loser last night that anything else. Couldve really impressed some people.

And before anyone says his haters will just always hate him, that's not true. He's already turned many who used to hate him into fans. Couldve done it more last night.

Instead he acted just the way many thought he would. Being a great winner, but a sore loser.

Missed opportunity. Suck it up for a few minutes and go sulk for a few days in private.

For the record, he could be maroon, gold, or translucent, I still wouldnt like him. I dont give a frick if hes black. If youre black youre black. Not a thing to me.
So if this thread HAD been about Elway, you'd be in here and you'd be just as red-assed. Got it.

Marino and Elway arent part of this thread, firstly.

Secondly, they're no longer polzarizing figures, dont talk crap on the field, the media, or make a name for themselves by showing off. That puts them in a whole nother category.

Why can't you admit that's a damn good point and move on? And its not that he had a kid he cheated on his wife and had a kid with his mistress. But yet no one talks about that. No one bashes him. Why?

Last edited:

But he played into all his haters hands last night. He's obviously very concerned about his image. Nothing wrong with that. That's how guys who are the faces of the league are. Jordan, Manning, Jeter, etc.

He could've done more for his image by being a graceful loser last night that anything else. Couldve really impressed some people.

And before anyone says his haters will just always hate him, that's not true. He's already turned many who used to hate him into fans. Couldve done it more last night.

Instead he acted just the way many thought he would. Being a great winner, but a sore loser.

Missed opportunity. Suck it up for a few minutes and go sulk for a few days in private.
Undoubtedly true. I hated him in college and for his first year in the league, but he's too much of a bright spot to try to hate, at least for me. I haven't tried to defend his actions last night. His behavior was fairly predictable, and that's part of what makes him who he is. The highs are high and the lows are low. The spotlight was on him and he didn't handle it right, but that doesn't make me hate or disrespect him. I don't get that. I like the guys who have fun and give back. That feels like an easy call for me...and honestly, I can't think of a pro who has been as fun to watch grow as a player and person as Cam.

So if this thread HAD been about Elway, you'd be in here and you'd be just as red-assed. Got it.
I dont even know what that means. Being 26, Cams age btw, that vernacular is a bit antiquated I guess.

I know about [__] that much of Elway. But we can talk about Cam giving to charities in one side of his life and being a ***** on the other side all day if youd like.

I dont even know what means. Being 26, Cams age btw, that vernacular is a bit antiquated I guess.

I know about [__] that much of Elway. But we can talk about Cam giving to charities in one side of his life and being a ***** on the other side all day if youd like.
Excellent use of the word vernacular!

Reactions: 1-1-Six Hog
Haha, @Turbo Buffalo I have a feeling this goes a little deeper than you are admitting. How did you feel about Eli Manning refusing to play for San Diego? John Elway? Like Mr Razorback said, Marino impregnating the reporter? This is all good, no? Your pictures are a perfect example...in a league filled with bad guys, youve decided to "not respect" one of the best ambassadors the game has seen.

Congratulations.
Goes a little deeper? It's sad that you can't stay on topic and continue to attack posters.

What does the Marino point have to do with anything? Nobody is criticizing how Cam handles himself in his personal life; this is an argument about how a professional athlete is expected to act in a professional context, at least from my point of view.

I dont even know what that means. Being 26, Cams age btw, that vernacular is a bit antiquated I guess.

images

Goes a little deeper? It's sad that you can't stay on topic and continue to attack posters.

What does the Marino point have to do with anything? Nobody is criticizing how Cam handles himself in his personal life; this is an argument about how a professional athlete is expected to act in a professional context, at least from my point of view.
I don't think I attacked you. Do you hate Aaron Rodgers for the discount double check? What do you not like about the way he handles himself professionally? The way he celebrates with his teammates?

I don't think I attacked you. Do you hate Aaron Rodgers for the discount double check? What do you not like about the way he handles himself professionally? The way he celebrates with his teammates?
He hates it that Cam is a winner.

I don't like that in the fourth quarter of last night's game, he didn't sell out and dive for that fumble. I also don't like that he doesn't handle himself like a man last night at that presser. Don't pretend like you're okay with how he acted.

I don't like that in the fourth quarter of last night's game, he didn't sell out and dive for that fumble. I also don't like that he doesn't handle himself like a man last night at that presser. Don't pretend like you're okay with how he acted.
I'm not, I've mentioned that a million times today. I think I get it now, though. You were a fan until last night, but now you don't like him. Makes more sense.

I pretty much agree with this. I don't hate Cam nor do I like him, and his on the field antics have been "umm whatever" to me. About the only thing I have against him is playing for Auburn and beating us. Last night, being a gracious loser would have given me some respect for him as a person. The way he acted only made me less likely to ever have any respect for him. Can't speak for others, just my take.

Missed opportunity.

Reactions: 1-1-Six Hog
I'm not, I've mentioned that a million times today. I think I get it now, though. You were a fan until last night, but now you don't like him. Makes more sense.
What you don't seem to understand is this has nothing to do with Cam the person. The counterpoint I was trying to make with the photos is that his personal life and professional life are independent of one another. This is about how this man who you're anointing as the new face of the league is carrying himself professionally. As another poster mentioned, kids are clinging to this guy because of his superb play on the field (as they should), but it's scary that they're also emulating his attitude. As a father of two, I wouldn't want my son or daughter to react this way to a loss in their professional life; I would want them to carry themselves with class and humility. Some children don't have the wherewithal or the support system to tell the difference between a good example and a horrible one, which is what Cam was last night. That's my problem with him right now.

So Marino cheating on his wife repeatedly with his mistress repeatedly and eventually having a kid with her is no big deal to you but yet a guy walking out of a conference after the toughest loss of his career is?

So Marino cheating on his wife repeatedly with his mistress repeatedly and eventually having a kid with her is no big deal to you but yet a guy walking out of a conference after the toughest loss of his career is?
This argument assumes that everyone who doesn't like Cam Newton likes Dan Marino. Logical fallacy. You're not going to win any argument going on this.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT